History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stonehouse and Adjoining Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Burgh by Sands, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9015 / 54°54'5"N

Longitude: -3.0448 / 3°2'41"W

OS Eastings: 333099

OS Northings: 556808

OS Grid: NY330568

Mapcode National: GBR 7C5R.LR

Mapcode Global: WH801.62C8

Entry Name: Stonehouse and Adjoining Outbuilding

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78260

Location: Burgh By Sands, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Burgh by Sands

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Burgh-by-Sands St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Rockcliffe

Listing Text

NY 35 NW BURGH BY SANDS Moorhouse


5/75 Stonehouse and
adjoining outbuilding

II

House and barn, now as garage. Dated 1706 over repositioned entrance in
extension dated 1760 on quoin; initials W. & J: (or T) S. (Stordy). Limestone
ashlar facade and similar extension on chamfered red sandstone plinth with
raised V-jointed quoins, end walls of English garden wall bond brickwork. Welsh
slate roof, bottom courses of sandstone slates, C20 brick chimney stacks. 2
storeys, 3 bays (originally 5 bays) with 2-bay extension under common roof;
former barn to right of lower roof line. Former entrance between first and
second windows from left has probably been the location for the stonework around
the entrance now in extension. 4-pane casement windows in stone architraves;
blocked window above former entrance and blocked narrow fire windows on both
floors on extreme right of original house. Extension: 4-panel door in quoined
surround, segmental arch with keyed entablature, dated and inscribed, moulded
cornice. Sash window with glazing bars on ground floor, 3-pane sash windows
above, all in stone architraves to match original house. Foot-scraper to right
of entrance; sun firemark below gutter, left of entrance. Principal room in
original house has stone fireplace with inscription HERE WE RESIDE, OUR NEXT
REMOVE SHALL BE FROM TOILSOME TIME TO VAST ETERNITY with initials W. & T.S.
Former barn to right has whitewashed clay walls, sandstone slate roof
(photograph of c1900 shows thatched roof and higher walls). Former cart
entrance has plank doors. Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed here for one
night in November 1745 before his advance on Carlisle. The Stordy family were
Quakers and were living in the village in the reign of Charles II. See J.A.
Wheatley, Bonnie Prince Charlie in Cumberland, 1903, pp16-18.


Listing NGR: NY3309956808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.