This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4211 / 54°25'15"N
Longitude: -2.9844 / 2°59'3"W
OS Eastings: 336225
OS Northings: 503298
OS Grid: NY362032
Mapcode National: GBR 7KL9.PX
Mapcode Global: WH82D.444J
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76888
Location: Skelwith, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA22
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Skelwith
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Brathay
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SKELWITH BOG LANE (South side)
NY 30 SE
3/188 Church of Holy
Church. 1836. For Giles Redmayne. Stucco with stone dressings, slate roof.
6-bay nave with short chancel and south-west tower (ritual west is actual
south). Pilaster buttresses and corbelled frieze; coped gables to nave. Tower
has set back buttresses and string courses; weathering over 2nd stage. West
round-headed window and south entrance of one order and studded door. 2nd stage
has 2 slots to each face; bell stage has 2-light round-headed louvred bell
openings. Nave has round-headed windows, 3 to south and 2 to north have later
C19 2-light tracery with transoms. West has 1:2:1-light windows, stepped string
course over and top roundel; square pinnacle to left. West bay of north side is
recessed with gabled porch. Chancel has hipped roof, 3-light traceried east
window; north gabled vestry and taller flat roofed organ loft with stack.
Interior has deep arch-braced roof with traceried spandrels. East bay of nave
has traceried timber screen and stalls, open to centre. Chancel arch has roll
moulding and columns with scalloped capitals. Traceried panelling and reredos.
Octagonal font with inscription, on squat round shaft. Some good C19 stained
glass to north and south and some decorative panels to west.
Listing NGR: NY3622503298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings