History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawkshead Courthouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hawkshead, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3804 / 54°22'49"N

Longitude: -3.003 / 3°0'10"W

OS Eastings: 334950

OS Northings: 498790

OS Grid: SD349987

Mapcode National: GBR 7KGS.NH

Mapcode Global: WH82K.V556

Entry Name: Hawkshead Courthouse

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Last Amended: 22 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335777

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76835

Location: Hawkshead, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA22

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Hawkshead

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hawkshead St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Hawkshead

Listing Text

HAWKSHEAD B5286
SD 39 NW
(West side)
5/129 Hawkshead Courthouse
25..3.70 (formerly listed as
gatehouse at
Hawkshead Hall)

GV II*

Purpose uncertain, probably courthouse, now farm building with 1st floor
exhibition hall. Possibly C13 but probably C15, with later alterations and
restorations, 1849 and 1932. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays. East facade has central passageway with segmental-pointed
arch with part of right jamb. Keystone a replica of original now attached to
Hawkshead Old Hall (q.v.). One stone to left inscribed: "J. THOMPSON/BOLTON
1849". Rough voussoirs above ashlar. Ventilation slot to left. 1st floor has
niche over lion-head corbel, with canopy, crocketed pinnacles and cusped arch
with fleuron. Straight-headed windows of 2 cusped pointed lights, that to left
renewed, that to right has original tracery head. South gable-end has
crow-stepped gable. 2 ventilation slots, the'inner chamfers angled possibly for
defence; 1st floor 2-light traceried window with 4-centred head. To left is
small lean-to projecting wall, part slate, part crow-stepped, which forms part
of a south wing, connecting courthouse with Hawkshead Old Hall (q.v.), now
demolished. North gable-end has crow-stepped gable. Blocked ground floor
entrance with segmental head has straight joint to right and is now partly
obscured by stair to 1st floor entrance. West facade has wide flat buttress to
right hand end. Passageway has segmental arch, with rough voussoirs; entrance
to left with ashlar dressings, segmental-headed entrance to right. 2-light
mullioned window to left hand end, with blocked entrance above. 2-light window
with cusped pointed heads above passageway has inscribed panel recording 1932
restoration. To right is part of former south wing which has fireplace with
bressummer. Interior has collar and tie beam trusses and C13 fireplace with
3-centred arch and dog tooth moulding, part of jamb missing. Originally part of
monastic grange associated with Furness Abbey. Property of the National Trust.


Listing NGR: SD3495098790

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.