History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Crosthwaite and Lyth, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3129 / 54°18'46"N

Longitude: -2.8529 / 2°51'10"W

OS Eastings: 344607

OS Northings: 491142

OS Grid: SD446911

Mapcode National: GBR 8LJK.4Q

Mapcode Global: WH82V.4VQK

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 April 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77092

Location: Crosthwaite and Lyth, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Crosthwaite and Lyth

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Crosthwaite St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Winster

Listing Text

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH CHURCH TOWN
SD 49 SW
9/4 Church of St Mary

II

Church. 1878. Rock-faced limestone with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate
roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel, canted apse, south transept and west
tower. 4-bay nave and chancel has gabled buttresses, cornice, plain coped
parapet and gable. 3-light pointed windows have double-cusped pointed lights
and hoods. Entrance to north-west in shallow gabled porch. South-east transept
has 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; stack to east angle. Apse has
coved cornice with Tudor flower ornament, 3-light window and single lights to
angles have Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with head stops and sill course.
Gable cross-traceried light to west end, north of tower. 3-stage tower has
weathered set back buttresses and cill, 2-light traceried west window, square
traceried window to 2nd stage, and 2-light traceried and louvred bell openings,
all with hoods and head stops. Top cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet
with blind quatrefoils with escutcheons. Lead-clad pyramidal roof with wind
vane. Interior has deep arch braced roof trusses with king pendants with
longitudinal and lateral arch braces, hollow chamfered braces and purlins.
Chancel has trusses with collars with brattishing, 2 trusses have hammer beams
carved as angels flanking truss with pendants to collar, which continues as
ridge piece to transept, rich mouldings to braces and purlins. Tower arch of
2 orders, hood with headstops, timber screen with stained glass to traceried
openings. Octagonal font with carved panels and capital to shaft. Niche in
west wall has bust of W. Pearson (a friend of Wordsworth) died 1856. Monument
to Dickinson family, 1803 by Webster of Kendal. Organ in transept. Octagonal
timber pulpit on stone base has blind tracery. Open tracery to choir stalls.
Apse has panelled east wall painted with symbols of Passion, angels, the Blessed
Virgin and St Peter, and scenes from the Passion. Brass altar rail on enriched
supports. C19 stained glass to east and west windows, late C20 glass to 2 south
windows.


Listing NGR: SD4460791142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.