History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Killington, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2951 / 54°17'42"N

Longitude: -2.5957 / 2°35'44"W

OS Eastings: 361322

OS Northings: 488992

OS Grid: SD613889

Mapcode National: GBR BL9S.T3

Mapcode Global: WH949.396N

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 12 February 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75690

Location: Killington, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Killington

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Firbank, Howgill and Killington

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Old Hutton

Listing Text


SD 68 NW KILLINGTON KILLINGTON

21/110 Church of All Saints
12.2.62

G.V. II*

Church. C14 with alterations of C17, vestry of 1894. Roughcast stone with
ashlar dressings, slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel, west tower and
south vestry. North facade of 5 bays. 1st bay has C14 straight-headed window
of 2 cusped lights; 2nd bay has C17 2-light straight-headed window; 3rd bay has
3-light C14 window as to 1st bay; 4th and 5th bays have single lights of C16 or
C17, that to 4th bay double-chamfered. South facade has C17 windows, the 1st a
hollow-chamfered light the 2nd and 3rd of 2 lights, the 2nd double-chamfered.
Eastern end has vestry with quoins and half-hipped roof; Tudor-headed west
entrance and 2-light east window. East end has moulded verges and ball-finial;
3-light window in splayed reveals. Tower has segmental pointed entrances, the
inner one C14. Segmental pointed louvred bell openings and pyramidal slate
roof. Interior has mid C19 roof collar and kingpost trusses on wall brackets.
West end has small gallery between 2 walls, medieval holy water stoup. Gallery
has trefoil-headed panelling. Small font with alabaster shafts. Painted boards
for Creed, Commandments and Lord's Prayer. Small medieval stained glass panel
to 3-light window, armorial bearing: Pickering. Black marble wall tablet to
north side, Jane Cook (died 1771), architrave and pediment. East window has
stained glass of 1907. Former font, early to mid C17, timber, octagonal moulded
bowl on 16-sided shaft with octagonal pyramidal timber cover. Built as the
chapel to Killington Hall (q.v.) by Pickering family and became parochial in
1585.


Listing NGR: SD6132288992

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.