History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Building @ 150 Metres East of Stephenson Ground Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.328 / 54°19'40"N

Longitude: -3.1766 / 3°10'35"W

OS Eastings: 323578

OS Northings: 493132

OS Grid: SD235931

Mapcode National: GBR 6L8D.29

Mapcode Global: WH71K.5GLX

Entry Name: Farm Building @ 150 Metres East of Stephenson Ground Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75858

Location: Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA20

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Broughton-in-Furness St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Seathwaite

Listing Text

SD 29 SW,
15/23

DUNNERDALE WITH SEATHWAITE,
STEPHENSON GROUND,
Farm building @ 150 metres east of Stephenson Ground Farmhouse

31.01.89

II

Farm building, originally a dwelling. Possibly early C16, no later than early C17
(see historic note below). Random rubble (with some earth infill); diminishing
stone slab gable-end roof with 'wrestler' ridge slates. Plan: a longhouse
derivative, the house to the left (with end fireplace, originally probably a
firehood) entered through the left-hand of the two doors into a cross-passage;
byre, to the right, entered through a separate door. Single-storey. Front, with
the two doorways mentioned above set close together, rubble jambs and rough slate
lintels, planked doors and one with upright slate containing bolt holes. One
window to extreme left adjacent to fireplace. Rear with single door opposing
house door to front (at rear of cross passage). Small opening to right hand end
gable wall. Internally, one disturbed cruck truss; the other truss with tie and
principal rafters; side purlins and ridge piece.

Historical note: Stephenson Ground was granted as wasteland for cultivation by
Furness Abbey to the Stephenson family in 1509. It is likely that a farmhouse was
built soon afterwards and the present structure may represent this building (or
its successor). The present farmhouse is late C18.


Listing NGR: SD2357893132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.