This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2808 / 54°16'50"N
Longitude: -3.2088 / 3°12'31"W
OS Eastings: 321397
OS Northings: 487917
OS Grid: SD213879
Mapcode National: GBR 6L1Y.36
Mapcode Global: WH71Q.PN6L
Entry Name: Broughton Tower Special School
Listing Date: 18 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75801
Location: Broughton West, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA20
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Broughton West
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Broughton-in-Furness St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/01/17
(Formerly listed as: Broughton Tower Special School)
Former house, school, now flats. C14 pele tower, extended to south mid to late C18, wings
added 1882-3, C20 additions. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs. South facade of two storeys with basement and eight bays, 3-bay centre
breaks forward, 1st and 7th and 8th bays form projecting wings. Quoins and
coped embattled parapet. Ogee-headed windows have architraves and are
sashed, with glazing bars, with octagonal and square quarries and intersecting
glazing bars to heads, but wings have single glazing bars and Y tracery heads.
Porch has embattled parapet and ogee-headed entrance up steps, with clustered
shafts, pinnacles and fleuron. 3-storey pele tower visible to rear, with
embattled parapet and blind Diocletian window. Cross-axial stacks. North
elevation has pele tower to centre with embattled parapet with escutcheon.
Pointed windows, paired with balcony to ground floor, similar windows to
returns. Flanking lean-to bays to returns have gable-end stacks; low C20
single-storey projections. Wing to east has 3-storey round tower to angle.
Windows are pointed with sashes. Wing to west has square turret and 2-storey,
2-bay service wing with smaller wing to west; sashed windows and hipped roof.
Rainwater heads dated: "ES/1777", "R C7/17/44" and "IS/1837". West elevation
has ogee-headed windows as to south elevation and ogee-headed entrance.
INTERIOR has rooms with ribbed ceilings. Hall has dog leg stair with open
string and 2 balusters to the tread. Landing has 2 segmental arches. Re-set
French early C16 portal has shaped pediment. Dining room has re-set Italian
Renaissance chimney piece. Vaulted basement and spiral stair to former
Listing NGR: SD2139787917
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings