This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2843 / 51°17'3"N
Longitude: 0.7113 / 0°42'40"E
OS Eastings: 589172
OS Northings: 157403
OS Grid: TQ891574
Mapcode National: GBR QSM.DMW
Mapcode Global: VHKJS.8ZX9
Entry Name: Church of St Dunstan
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173734
Location: Frinsted, Maidstone, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Frinsted
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 85 NE
1/1 Church of St Dunstan
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Aisle widened 1856-61
by R C Hussey. 1870 restoration by Scott. Flint with stone
dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, south porch, continuous
nave and chancel, north chapel, north aisle. Tower: C15, 2 stages
on plinth, with gargoyled upper string and battlements. Angle
buttresses. Cusped 2-light belfry openings. Narrow single
north and west lights with moulded jambs to top of lower stage.
C19 west window and C19 moulded two-centred arched west doorway
with hoodmould. Polygonal battlemented south-east stair
turret, also with gargoyled string. Nave: plinthless, with very
small undressed C12 lancet and two C19 windows in a C14 style with
hood-moulds and faces to label stops. South Porch: on plinth. C19,
with moulded C15-style two-centred arched doorway. Cusped barge-
boards. Moulded Medieval two-centred arched inner doorway with
hoodmould and Medieval boarded door. Chancel: plinthless.
3 south windows, two Cl9 and one, a lancet towards the east end,
at least with C19 dressings. Decorative chalk voussoirs placed
towards east end to suggest blocked round-headed south entrance.
C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with upper tracery.
North Chapel: Late C12, with gable slightly lower than chancel
but much lower than north aisle. Moulded stone plinth. C19 windows
in a C14 style. North aisle: on moulded plinth, but not quite so
wide as chapel. C19 trefoil-headed doorway with roll mouldings
in angle between north aisle and north chapel. C19 windows.
Interior: not inspected. J Newman (Buildings of England Series,
North East and East Kent 1969) notes: Late C12 2-bay north
arcade to chancel with lightly chamfered pointed arches, round
piers with square chamfered abaci and capitals carved with leaves.
C13 north arcade to nave with round piers and simply-moulded
capitals carved with leaves. C13 north arcade to nave with round
piers and simply-moulded capitals. C14 recess in north chapel.
Crown-post roof to nave. Chancel and north chapel decorated 1870
with carved screen, stalls, and "remarkable" patterned wall-paintings.
Listing NGR: TQ8917257403
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings