History in Structure

Range of Farm Buildings Attached to Barton Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Barton, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.6302 / 54°37'48"N

Longitude: -2.7983 / 2°47'53"W

OS Eastings: 348562

OS Northings: 526414

OS Grid: NY485264

Mapcode National: GBR 8GWW.ZZ

Mapcode Global: WH819.ZWN8

Plus Code: 9C6VJ6J2+3M

Entry Name: Range of Farm Buildings Attached to Barton Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74522

ID on this website: 101336950

Location: Barton, Westmorland and Furness, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Barton

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Agricultural structure

Find accommodation in


NY 42 NE
3/121 Range of farm buildings
attached to Barton Church
6.2.68 Farmhouse (q.v.)

Farm buildings. Probably C17 and C18. Coursed rubble with some ashlar
dressings, slate roof. L-plan with south and east wings, attached to farmhouse
at west end of south wing. North elevation of south wing of 2 storeys, C20
small-paned glazing to ground floor windows; 1st floor has 5 single-chamfered-
mullioned windows of 2 lights, the central window flanked by pitching holes,
that to west being larger and cutting through blocked opening. Large
segmental-headed entrance is chamfered and has keystone and enriched stone above
with escutcheon and initials: E & LH. Entrance to western end has 2 panelled
pilasters, capitals missing, chamfered segmental arch and small mask to key; 2
C20 entrances to east have sliding doors. South elevation has C20 brick
outshut. West elevation of east wing of 2 buildings; that to south of 5 bays
with C20 windows flanking segmental-headed entrance which is chamfered and has
keystone inscribed: "T & ED/AUG 22/1/1701"; oval panel above has Dawes arms.
Some blocked ventilation slots. Angle of this part forms jamb of elliptical
arched through passage, the opening chamfered the arch slightly narrower than
the jambs. Part to north has 2 storeys to north end. 2 entrances, one
chamfered, and 2 windows; 1st floor has entrance up steps and chamfered loading
entrance. Lean-to-outshut to north of segmental-headed large entrance with
keystone inscribed: "T & ED/AUG 13/1702". East elevation has ventilation slots;
gable end to south wing; C20 window; through passage has inserted girder; large
entrance to north has segmental head and console-keystone.

Listing NGR: NY4856226414

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.