History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3-11, Bridge Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8706 / 51°52'14"N

Longitude: 0.6856 / 0°41'8"E

OS Eastings: 584982

OS Northings: 222524

OS Grid: TL849225

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.L4Y

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T7ST

Plus Code: 9F32VMCP+66

Entry Name: 3-11, Bridge Street

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116054

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


(east side)

9/23 Nos 3-11 (odd)


Range of 5 attached houses with shops, now houses and offices. Early to mid
C19, altered in C20. Timber framed, with facade of painted and plastered brick,
plastered, roughcast and weatherboarded elsewhere, roofed with slate. Main
range facing W with 2 stacks in front of ridge and 2 behind (nos. 3-9), and wing
extending obliquely forwards at right end, also with 2 internal stacks (no. 11).
2 storeys (and one with attic). No. 3 is plastered, and has on the ground floor
one original sash of 16 lights with handmade glass, and on the first floor one
similar sash and one late C19 sash of 6 lights; C20 6-panel door with plain
overlight in original plain doorcase, and one stone step. No. 5 is plastered on
the ground floor, painted above, with one original sash of 16 lights on the
ground floor with handmade glass, 2 similar sashes on the first floor, and a C20
half-glazed door. No. 9 has a shop window of 30 lights, restored or
reproduction, and one similar sash on the first floor; 6-panel door with plain
overlight in plain doorcase, and one stone step. Continuous fascia with moulded
shallow canopy across all 4. No. 11 has an original shop window of 24 lights,
and one similar sash on the first floor; one therm window in attic; C20 6-panel
door in plain doorcase. The right return is roughcast rendered. A map of 1827
and a sale catalogue of 1828 show that this site was then wholly occupied by a
brewery; the street was then called Cellar Lane (Essex Record Office, D/DU 19/7
and B.2981).

Listing NGR: TL8498222524

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.