This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8787 / 51°52'43"N
Longitude: 0.5523 / 0°33'8"E
OS Eastings: 575775
OS Northings: 223096
OS Grid: TL757230
Mapcode National: GBR PHX.2G4
Mapcode Global: VHJJJ.J1BL
Plus Code: 9F32VHH2+FW
Entry Name: The Constitutional Club and Shops
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 113738
Location: Braintree, Essex, CM7
Electoral Ward/Division: Braintree Central & Beckers Green
Built-Up Area: Braintree
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Braintree St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Club and shops
TL 7523 1/101 25.10.51.
An Cl8 red brick front with a parapet and rusticated quoins to a C16 timber-framed
and plastered house. Originally it was built on an L shaped plan but was added
to in the C18 to make a rectangular plan. 3 storeys. 7 window range. The centre
window is a 3-light bay rising through the 1st and 2nd storeys. The inner flanking
windows are blocked. The windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars,
in plain reveals with keystones. The ground storey has 2 C20 shops on the north
amd south ends and the centre part is C19 with a 6-panel door with rusticated
brick pilasters, a rectangular fanlight with radial glazing bars and a concrete
canopy with ornamental iron railings. The east (garden) front is timber-framed
and plastered, with a jettied 1st storey and 3 jettied gables on moulded bressumers.
The windows are metal casements with leaded lights. A 6-panel door with raised
and fielded panels has a frieze with fret ornamentation and a cornice. Roofs
tiled. RCHM (45).
The Constitutional Club and the House and shop occupied by Cameron Chemist
form a group with No 23 and Hill House, Market Place.
Listing NGR: TL7577523096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings