This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5568 / 51°33'24"N
Longitude: 0.5316 / 0°31'53"E
OS Eastings: 575592
OS Northings: 187252
OS Grid: TQ755872
Mapcode National: GBR PMR.97F
Mapcode Global: VHJL2.54CC
Plus Code: 9F32HG4J+PJ
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 4 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112311
Location: Bowers Gifford and North Benfleet, Basildon, Essex, SS13
Civil Parish: Bowers Gifford and North Benfleet
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Bowers Gifford with North Benfleet
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Tagged with: Church building
717/7/52 CHURCH ROAD
04-JUL-55 BOWERS GIFFORD
Church of St Margaret
Church. Mid C14, bell stage added early C16, main restoration 1910. Coursed ashlar with some flint and brick; slate roofs.
PLAN: west steeple, nave with north vestry, chancel with north organ chamber.
EXTERIOR: 2-stage tower supported by heavy diagonal buttress at south-west corner with 4 brick-capped set-offs. West side with semi-circular relieving arch. One cinquefoiled lancet under square hoodmould with label stops. Small slit light to staircase to lower right. Set-off at ringing chamber stage. One trefoiled lancet to each face of ringing chamber except east, all under square hoodmoulds with label stops. Square timber-framed and shingled bell stage developing into broached octagonal timber spire, also with shingle cladding.
South nave with 4 stepped side buttresses each with 2 set-offs clad with plaintiles. In first bay (from west) a timber-framed south porch of 1910 on an ashlar and flint plinth; gabled plaintiled roof. 2 remaining bays each with one 3-light cinquefoiled window under square hoodmoulds on label stops. North nave with C19 lean-to vestry to west, with brick banding. One blocked 2-light cusped window east and west, within square surrounds. Body of nave with one side buttress as before, separating 2 2-light trefoiled windows under square hoods with label stops.
North and south of chancel pierced by one similar 2-light window of 1910. 3-light arched chancel east window of 1910. North chancel with lean-to vestry to west, lit through one east lancet.
INTERIOR: double wave moulded tower arch. Early C16 timber frame for steeple inserted within existing fabric. Frame consists of four heavy square posts, one reused. Heavy middle rail. Above middle rail are cross-braced timber strainers to all except the south side. Nave and chancel distinguished by heavier roof rib. Roof of nave and chancel in form of a canted and boarded barrel roof, with moulded transverse ribs, one tier of purlins and ridge piece. Eastern 2 bays over the altar elaborated with cusped and decorated cross braces to each compartment.
North vestry door with external double wave mouldings. Plain octagonal font, moulded under the bowl. C17 timber pyramid font cover. Plank and muntin tower screen, 1910. Nave pews dated 1929-31. Chancel screen of 1926 by Sir Charles Nicholson: 4 bays right and left of central opening. Panelled dado. Double-leaf gates with rectangular verticals, set between heavy section rectangular uprights which rise to the rood beam. Cambered rail with solid 4-centred braces, above which are 3 cusped open panels. In centre panel a sculpted Crucifixion scene. Side bays with rectangular stiles. Statue of Virgin Mary to south of screen, on a corbelled pedestal. Attached twin stalls to east of screen. Remainder of chancel stalls also 1926. 1926 open timber screen in front of organ in north chamber. Timber altar rail with 6 plus 6 bays with Flamboyant traceried heads, dated 1941.
Brass to Sir John Giffard, possibly 1348. Flemish. Full-sized figure in military dress (head and lower part of right leg lost), with uncrossed legs and bearing a shield with 6 fleurs-de-lys (north-east chancel floor).
Hexagonal pulpit from Harrow School chapel, presented here in 1924, probably made in 1857. Polygonal angle shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, panels with linenfold panelling. Gilded wooden eagle lectern. Wall monument to Frederick Harwood, died 1836: square plaster panel depicting Virgin and Child (nave south wall). 14 early C19 plaster Stations of the Cross, with 3-dimensional figures.
Listing NGR: TQ7559287252
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.