History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brick House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Steeple Bumpstead, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0477 / 52°2'51"N

Longitude: 0.4515 / 0°27'5"E

OS Eastings: 568204

OS Northings: 241648

OS Grid: TL682416

Mapcode National: GBR PFN.LYM

Mapcode Global: VHJHH.SS1L

Entry Name: Brick House

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338387

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114214

Location: Steeple Bumpstead, Braintree, Essex, CB9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Steeple Bumpstead

Built-Up Area: Steeple Bumpstead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Steeple Bumpstead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Bumpstead

Listing Text

7/8/52 Brick House


Long-jetty house, mid to late C16, altered in late C16 and C20. Timber framed
with exposed frame and brick nogging, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
2-bay main range aligned NE-SW, with 2-bay crosswings, continuous jetty on the
SE elevation. Original rear chimney stack to SW of middle. Brick stair tower
and garderobe to SW of it, late C16. Rear wing from NE end with garderobe in
W angle, late C16. Single-storey extension to NW of this wing, C19, roofed
with red clay pantiles. SE elevation, C20 door, 2 bays and 2 casements, all
C20. 5 small 2-light windows, late C16, restored. First floor, 3 C20 casement
windows and one small 2-light window, late C16, restored. Bressumer with
running vine carving, much weathered, and 5 exposed brackets below jetty, some
restored. Hipped roof. 3 octagonal shafts on main stack. The rear of this
stack has a recessed datestone with 1571 inscribed in modern numerals. The
interior is arranged in the typical medieval plan, the modern front door in
the original position, with twin doorways into the NE bay, one original Tudor
doorhead present, the other reproduction. The doorway into the (SW) parlour
retains its original Tudor head. Close studding is partly exposed. Over the
ground floor all the joists are of horizontal section, plain-chamfered with
lamb's tongue stops; the beams are plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops.
The ground floor hearth is much restored. On the first floor more close-
studding is exposed, with cranked bracing, and similar original ceilings. Some
of the small 2-light windows have original moulded mullions. The NE garderobe
has 2 diamond mullions. The first floor hearth has a depressed brick arch,
the jambs hollow-moulded with broach stops and original plaster. The roof is
of clasped purlin construction with curved wind bracing. RCHM 23.

Listing NGR: TL6820441648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.