History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cherry Tree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Frittenden, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1451 / 51°8'42"N

Longitude: 0.5828 / 0°34'57"E

OS Eastings: 580753

OS Northings: 141601

OS Grid: TQ807416

Mapcode National: GBR PSV.455

Mapcode Global: VHJN1.1GYZ

Entry Name: Cherry Tree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 June 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169378

Location: Frittenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17

County: Kent

Civil Parish: Frittenden

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 8041-8141 (north side)

Cherry Tree Farmhouse
House. C15 or earlier, extended C16 to C17 and c.1880 to rear. Timber framed
and clad with weather boarding, with sections of red brick, and tile hung to
return upper elevations. Extended with red brick to rear. Plain tiled roofs.
Hall house, with cross-wings, extended to rear. Two storeys, with projecting
jettied wing to left, and returned, on dragon posts, with gabled roof, and
gabled wing to right. Stacks to rear, and clustered and moulded to centre
right. Three 3 light C19 mullioned and transomed windows on 1st floor and
single light to centre right over door. Two similar 3 light windows on ground
floor, and 3 light wooden casement to left. Door of 4 panels and glazed upper
panel to centre right with flat hood on brackets. C19 red brick and weather
boarded rear wing and outshot. Interior: the frame shows signs of much altera-
tion, especially in the roof, where at least 3 tie beams at the junction of hall
and jettied cross-wing have been successively placed above each other. Tie beam
and rafter roof throughout. Hall with brattished dais beam over vertical over-
lapping timber screen, quirk and tongue stopped chamfered ceiling beams and
large inglenook, round backed fireplace in right hand cross-wing, the upper room
of this wing with C17 wainscotting, with fluted overmantel surround and raised
panel, and early C17 door with moulded arcaded panels. Reputed to have come
from old Frittenden House (demolished late C19), although as likely to be
original to this building. Mullioned windows with shutter grooves remain,
especially in jettied parlour wing.

Listing NGR: TQ8075341601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.