This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8996 / 50°53'58"N
Longitude: -1.406 / 1°24'21"W
OS Eastings: 441869
OS Northings: 111290
OS Grid: SU418112
Mapcode National: GBR RQH.8T
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YQ.N26
Entry Name: Tudor House Museum
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135744
Location: Southampton, SO14
Electoral Ward/Division: Bargate
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. BUGLE STREET
5239 (west side)
Tudor House Museum
SU 4111 3/52 14.7.53
C14 and C16, altered in C18 and restored circa 1911 and presented to the town
as a Museum. Late Mediaeval town house, built in its present form mainly
by Sir John Dawtrey lip at some time between 1491 and 1518, but incorporating
a banqueting hall a hundred years earlier. It was later the home of the Lord
Chief Justice of Henry VIII, Sir Richard Lyster, who is buried in the Church
of St Michael, St Michael's Square (q.v.). Corner building. Bugle Street
elevation is of 3 storeys timber-framed with brick nogging. Tiled roof.
Each upper floor oversails with plaster core carried up to wider side of window
cills. Four small gables separated by pendants. At the north end is a projecting
2 storey porch with upper storey oversailing. The porch has carved brackets,
outer and inner 4-centred doorways with carved spandrels and original door
with vertical ribs and studs. Restored wooden mullioned and transomed windows.
The rear elevation is of stone and has a 2-light arched Perpendicular window.
C18, 2 storeyed addition to west, partly tile-hung with canted bay windows.
The interior contains a mediaeval vault of flat-arched tunnel shape. Stone
fireplace with Tudor arch in the main front room. Mid C15 Banqueting Hall
rising 2 storeys high. Screens passage, originally of 2 short speres, with
galley above (not original). Two Tudor doors with 4 centred arches with carved
spandrels. Wooden square panelled ceiling. The east wall has a blocked doorway
with 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. The west wall has a renewed stone
fireplace C16 in origin with a blank shield and Tudor Rose in the spandrels.
One first floor room has panelling of circa 1700 and a C19 fireplace surround.
Late C16 barrel-vaulted ceiling and moulded wooden cornice to another first
floor room. The basement contains five C15 rubble undercrofts. The rear
wall has set into it a mural tablet erected by General Sir John Mordant moved
from the now demolished Bevois Mount House.
Scheduled as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4186211222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings