History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Tree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Badgeworth, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8547 / 51°51'16"N

Longitude: -2.121 / 2°7'15"W

OS Eastings: 391760

OS Northings: 217351

OS Grid: SO917173

Mapcode National: GBR 1LB.QL3

Mapcode Global: VH94F.6N11

Entry Name: Yew Tree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Last Amended: 22 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134977

Location: Badgeworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Badgeworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Witcombe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Little Witcombe

Listing Text


4/25 Yew Tree Farmhouse
(formerly listed under
4.7.60 shurdington Parish)


Former farmhouse. C16, altered 1679, as indicated by date at first
floor level on the east side of the early range, extended mid C18.
Close-studded timber framing, now pebble-dashed on a squared and
dressed limestone plinth; C18 range painted brick; red tile roof,
formerly thatched; C20 red brick stack. Rectangular main body
with C18 extension at right angles forming an 'L'-shaped overall
plan with a lean-to extension to the north gable end. Two storeys
and attic. The east facing elevation of the early range: two C20
two-light wooden casements with glazing bars to the ground floor;
two similar casements above. All four casements project slightly
from the wall face; similar casement to the lean-to extension to
the right; small 2-light casement with horizontal glazing bars to
the first floor of the main body upper left; single 2-light hipped
roof dormer with glazing bars. Three stylised incised motifs at
first floor level from left to right: motif looking rather like a
cat's face or possibly representing a shield; crown; circle with
diamond at the centre surrounded by foliate motifs. Date 1679 and
possibly initials, below, including the letter 'M' and a reversed
'D'. Four-windowed west front, all C20 single or 2-light wooden
casements with glazing bars. C20 plank door to the lean-to
extension. C18 extension, viewed from the north-west: band
between floors; tripartite sash to the ground floor to the left of
a fielded panelled door within a part-glazed lean-to porch; 12-
pane sash above; sash windows with gauged brick heads formerly
lighting the gable end now blocked. Axial stack to the early
range, lateral stack to the C18 extension. The eaves appear to
have been extended out possibly c1679 when the decorative motifs
were added to the west front.
Interior: early range formerly comprised 3 rooms. Two open
fireplaces back-to-back with bressumers one with an ovolo moulding
to the jamb stones. Early-mid C17 staircase with barley-twist
balusters, ramped handrail and carved brackets at the end of each
riser; the newels comprise combinations of 4 or 8 barley-twist

Listing NGR: SO9176017351

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.