History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sudeley Castle, Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Sudeley, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9475 / 51°56'50"N

Longitude: -1.9551 / 1°57'18"W

OS Eastings: 403179

OS Northings: 227666

OS Grid: SP031276

Mapcode National: GBR 3N1.Y87

Mapcode Global: VHB1L.297X

Plus Code: 9C3WW2WV+XW

Entry Name: Sudeley Castle, Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340136

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134930

Location: Sudeley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Sudeley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in


SP 0227-0327
14/144 Sudeley Castle, Church of
St Mary
Parish Church. Circa 1460 for Ralph Boteler, late C15 or early C16
north aisle, restored 1859-'63 by Sir G.G. Scott for J.C. Dent.
Well coursed, squared stone, lead roof. Five-bay nave and chancel
structurally in one, 3-bay north aisle, western bell turret. West
end, double plinth, angled buttresses, boarded central doorway, 4-
centred arch, crocketed hoodmould; string course. Three-light
Perpendicular window, crocketed hoodmould, with each side a statue
in ogee-headed niche with tall finial. Above, string course,
crenellated parapet each side of square bell turret, slightly
corbelled at front on west side; 2-light louvred window, string
course, corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet with corner finials,
iron weathervane. South face, angled buttresses each end, plinth,
4 square-set buttresses, string course at sill level, changed to
dripmould for former low roof in fourth bay: bottom of buttress in
that bay forms jamb of door, blocked doorway and 4-light squint
under cambered arch to right below dripmould. Above, five 3-light
Perpendicular windows, hoodmoulds with carved-head stops, string
course, grotesques on buttresses; buttresses changing to diamond-
set above, rising into tall, crocketed finials; crenellated
parapet. East wall dripmould for roof to demolished vestry in
place of string course: blocked doorway on left. Above, 5-light
Perpendicular window, hoodmould and carved-head stops; string
course and crenellations follow line of low-pitch roof, short apex
finial. On right end of low aisle, plinth, 3-light mullion window,
angled corner buttress, string course and crenellated parapet over.
North wall: low aisle 3 bays, plinth, angled corner buttresses,
two 2-light mullioned windows with buttress and wide projection
between: crenellated parapet, finials missing. Boarded door on
right return, moulded arris, 4-centred arch, hoodmould, with finial
above string course. To right plinth, string course and buttress
on south side, inserted boarded door in last bay, sunk spandrels,
moulded surround. Windows and parapet above string course as south
Interior: ashlar walls, marble floor, stone piers to carry turret,
nave and chancel in one. Chancel screen 4 bays each side central
opening, cusped ogee heads, heavily carved. Three sedilia on south
side, nodding ogee heads, high crocketed finials over; similar
piscina. Carved marble reredos with part marquetry finish. Two
arches north side of chancel to aisle, door to nave. Moulded beams
to roof. Openwork octagonal wooden pulpit, Decorated tracery, 2
brass candle holders, since electrified. Octagonal marble font,
carved sides to bowl, clustered pillar stem. Choir stalls returned
against screen, carved misericords, brass-book rest to front seats.
Memorial in chancel to Katherine Parr, effigy by J.B. Philip on
marble chest tomb, quatrefoils to sides, under foiled, 4-centred
arch, crocketed above, swept up to poppyhead finial: marble
pillars either side with statues under niche heads, finials over.
Stained glass by Preedy. Building fell into decay C18. Exterior
essentially C15/C16; interior nearly all 1859ff by Sir G.G. Scott:
fine example of his work. Katherine Parr buried in church.
(S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779; papers at
Sudeley Castle; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0318127669

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.