This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9906 / 51°59'26"N
Longitude: -2.0267 / 2°1'36"W
OS Eastings: 398262
OS Northings: 232459
OS Grid: SO982324
Mapcode National: GBR 2L7.4DZ
Mapcode Global: VHB1B.T7FC
Plus Code: 9C3VXXRF+68
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135273
Location: Teddington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Teddington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Church building
SO 93 SE TEDDINGTON ALSTONE VILLAGE
Church of St Margaret
Small Anglican church. Late C12, altered C17, restored 1880. Nave
and chancel: large random finely squared and dressed limestone.
Chancel north wall ashlar. Porch random roughly squared and
dressed limestone; red tile roof with C19 timber-framed turret.
Nave with north aisle and a projecting south porch; bell turret;
chancel. Nave south wall: C19 double plank door within the porch
with C12 surround with plain tympanum with single band of diaper at
the bottom; scalloped jamb shafts; diapered imposts; chevron and
pellet decoration over the tympanum. Moulded Tudor-arched entrance
with the initials 'C.N/ N.A' in the spandrels and the date 1621 on
the lintel below the stopped hood. Stone bench seats within porch.
Small free-standing headstone with pointed top and inscription to
'WILLIUM -----'--- THE ELD/EST WHO DE/SESED THIS LYFE - TUESDA/Y OF
FEBRUARY/ A.D. 1624'. Three-light hollow chamfered stone-mullioned
casement with stopped hood to the right of the porch; 2-light
flat-chamfered stone-mullioned casement to the left of the porch;
sandstone monument to Sarah Allen daughter of John and Mary Allen,
died 1829 far left. Single trefoil-headed lancet at the west end.
Chancel with diagonal buttresses. South wall of chancel: 3-light
double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement. Pair of Early English
lancets at the east end; monument to Sarah ye daughter of Edward,
(?) Tirle of ------Washbourne, died 1710, with inset inscription
panel with 2 rosettes at the top. C19 to left of the east window,
two-light stone-mullioned casement with trefoil-headed lights to
the north wall. North aisle with diagonal buttresses: 2-light
hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with Tudor-arched head at
the east end; similar window to the north wall and at the west
end. Squat timber-framed bell-turret with ogee-curved decorative
timbering, towards the east end of the nave; wooden louvres to
belfry openings; clock on the south side; pyramidal roof with
weathervane. Stepped and flat coping with roll cross saddles to
the gable ends; upright cross finial to gable end of chancel.
Scraped interior: 3-bay nave with C19 arch-braced collar beam
trusses rising from C19 moulded stone corbels. Single early unused
stone corbel in the nave north wall. Large C14 octagonal limestone
font at the west end of the north aisle. C19 pews with C17 bench
ends. C15 octagonal wooden pulpit with linenfold panelling. C19
communion rails with decorative wrought iron uprights. C20
communion table. Two monuments on the north wall of the north
aisle: left-hand monument with initials F.D. at top and illegible
inscription: broken triangular pediment flanked by Ionic columns.
Similar monument to John Darke, died 1805 and his wife Anne to the
right. Inscriptions on both monuments foliating badly at time of
resurvey (May 1987). Four C17 and one C18 ledger in floor of the
north aisle. C18 ledger to members of the Attwood family in main
aisle. C15 figural stained glass in the westernmost window of the
nave north wall.
(David Verey: The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Listing NGR: SO9785233624
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings