This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9951 / 51°59'42"N
Longitude: -2.0533 / 2°3'12"W
OS Eastings: 396433
OS Northings: 232964
OS Grid: SO964329
Mapcode National: GBR 2L0.X9M
Mapcode Global: VHB1B.C3BW
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135282
Location: Teddington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Teddington
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 93 SE TEDDINGTON TEDDINGTON VILLAGE
5/187 Church of St Nicholas
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C18. Nave north wall
and chancel: random roughly squared limestone. Nave south wall:
coursed squared and dressed limestone. Tower: ashlar. Nave and
projecting north porch, chancel and west tower. Nave north wall:
single C13 trefoil-headed lancet to left of a projecting C14 porch
which conceals an early plank door with fillets within a moulded
pointed-arched surround of c1200 with carved head and animal head
stop. Early plank door within a pointed-arched surround to the
porch, stone bench seats. Stepped continuous string to the right
of the porch. Buttressed south wall with one 2-light and one 3-
light stone-mullioned casement with Tudor-arched heads, enriched
spandrels, one dated 1624, and stopped hoods. Chancel with
diagonal and end buttresses. Some reused stone with roll mouldings
and cable moulding and two 2-light stone-mullioned casements to the
south wall; two similar windows and a plank door within a moulded
three-centred arched surround. Three-light Decorated east window
with restored mullions. Three-storey tower, dated 1567, with
diagonal buttresses. Fine Early English 2-light west window with
cinquefoil-headed lights and richly moulded cusped circle; 2-light
belfry windows with stone louvres within casement moulded
surrounds. Battlemented parapet formerly with corner pinnacles and
eroded corner grotesques. Flat gable-end coping. Nave walls
plastered; chancel scraped: nave with early facetted roof, with
tie-beams, one cambered with raking struts; early facetted roof to
chancel; flagged floor. Cll chancel arch with imposts; reused
stonework either side of arch with cable and diaper mouldings.
Niche in north wall of nave. C20 bowl font on a C14 base decorated
with ball flower and engaged columns, opposite the north door.
Restored late C15 pews; two pew ends with linenfold panelling.
Carved stone king's head on sill of chancel window. C17 turned
communion rails with knobs. C20 communion table. Panelled
octagonal pulpit with sounding board and inscription 'Michael/
/Tyller/William/Awoode/Church/ Wardens/16/55', two cherubs' heads
above; rosette decoration and pendants to sounding board.
Restored C17 reading desk with inscription 'Quench not ye
spirit/Despise not phrophecy'. Wall paintings on wall of nave the
most conspicuous of which is a large royal arms of William and
Mary, 1689, enclosed with draped architectural features. Traces of
the Lord's Prayer and Creed in C16 on lettering on the north wall.
Fragments of C15 glass decorated with flowers in a north window of
the chancel. No monuments.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Listing NGR: SO9643432966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings