This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7248 / 51°43'29"N
Longitude: -2.3107 / 2°18'38"W
OS Eastings: 378634
OS Northings: 202942
OS Grid: SO786029
Mapcode National: GBR 0L9.YCV
Mapcode Global: VH94W.WXS4
Entry Name: Tithe Barn Approximately 80m West of Frocester Court
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Last Amended: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132905
Location: Frocester, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Frocester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Frocester St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 7802 FROCESTER COURT ROAD
9/111 Tithe Barn approximately 80m west
of Frocester Court
(previously listed with
10.1.55 Frocester Court)
Tithe barn. c1300; roof rebuilt early C16. Mid C19
alterations. Coursed and random rubble limestone, roughcast
render to south-west end; stone slate roof. Thirteen-bay barn
with 2 south-east porches, outshut shelter between. Offset
buttresses to sides, mostly rebuilt at various periods. Two
gabled porches to south-east side with casement in roughcast
rendered gable, plank barn doors below. Outshut between porches
added in C19 has flying buttress structure supporting smaller
earlier buttresses. Two inserted pointed arched openings inserted
on south-east side in C19; one similar to north-west in line with
gabled porch. Slit vents to some other bays. Parapet gabled
ends with slit vents.
Interior: raised base cruck roof structure with strutting to
arched bracing. Principal purlin at main collar level with arched
windbracing. Number of bays doubled above purlin, secondary
purlin having more arched windbracing, creating cross pattern
effect. Another set of secondary purlins below main collar level
without windbracing. C19 raised platform in 2 bays for water-
powered milling machinery. Almost certainly the 'magna grangia de
Froucestre' built by John de Gamages, abbot (1284-1306) of St
Peter's Abbey, Gloucester. Recent investigations have shown that
roof is an early C16 replacement after extensive fire, probably a
close copy but with unusual process of erection due to pre-existing
structure. Later in C16, after purchase by George Huntley, end
bays converted to part domestic use, partitions and floors later
removed. One of the most important medieval tithe barns in the
country, despite the later post-medieval roof. Set of C19 shelter
sheds and yards stand immediately to south-east (q.v.).
(F.W.B. Charles and W. Horn, 'The Cruck-Built Barn of Frocester
Court Farm, Gloucestershire, England' in J.S.A.H., 1983; N.M.
Herbert, 'Frocester' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp. 170-178; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976)
Listing NGR: SO7863402942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings