This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7157 / 51°42'56"N
Longitude: -2.2284 / 2°13'42"W
OS Eastings: 384313
OS Northings: 201912
OS Grid: SO843019
Mapcode National: GBR 1MY.7G7
Mapcode Global: VH954.B48K
Entry Name: Seynckley House Including Courtyard Walls
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Last Amended: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133026
Location: Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Minchinhampton
Built-Up Area: Nailsworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Amberley Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8401-8501 MINCHINHAMPTON CULVER HILL
15/236 Seynckley House including courtyard
walls (previously listed as St Loe's
Large detached house. Late C15 or early C16 north range and
courtyard walls; early C17 south range; west (linking) range
built for school, 1698. 1909 alterations by Sidney Barnsley for
Henry Payne. Random and coursed rubble limestone; ashlar
chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic ranges forming
3 sides of courtyard with high wall to east. North side: late
C17 re-facing of C15/16 range with 3-window 2-light chamfered
mullioned casement fenestration with linking hoodmoulds. Early
C20 alteration to form 3 tall full-height windows; 2 gabled
dormers, one leaded. End of late C17 west range to right with
single-window fenestration, originally 2-light, doorway inserted
in altered ground floor casement. East gable end of this range
has open-sided bellcote with leaded ogee top, clock in small gable
on courtyard side. West side: main elevation of late C17 range.
Mostly 2-light mullioned casements in 6-window elevation, grouped
under combining hoodmoulds, except 3-light to each floor roughly at
centre. Roof hipped at north west corner, gable at south end.
Four gabled dormers; 2 chimneys with moulded caps. South end:
right of gable end of south range is early C17 cross-gabled wing,
single-window fenestration below south-facing parapet gable, C19 3-
light to ground floor, 5-light ovolo moulded upper floor casement,
3-light to attic with small blocked opening above. Chimney gable
to rear of this range. C20 inserted timber cross-windows face
courtyard. Courtyard wall has large pointed arched doorway at
south east corner; further pointed arched doorway where wall joins
gable end of north range, projecting stair turret havng coped top
and small light.
Interior: several original doorways in north range, 2 to stone
spiral stair with ogee arched heads; pointed arched external
doorway adjacent. Three-bay roof to this part, principal rafters
having curved feet, originally with arched bracing, this now
missing. Fine early C17 Jacobean stone fireplace in upper floor
room of south range; fireplace of possibly slightly earlier date
in south end of west range, this indicating the range may be a
rebuilding. Late C17 dog-leg staircase with turned balusters and
moulded handrails. Several simple stone fireplaces by Barnsley.
One window has stained glass by Henry Payne. Owned through much
of medieval period by Berkeley family, the house was greatly
altered to serve as charity school in 1698. Bought by Henry
Payne, the artist and stained glass designer in 1908.
(Photographs of exterior in N.M.R. N.M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton'
in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp. 184-207; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8431301912
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings