This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6805 / 51°40'49"N
Longitude: -2.3309 / 2°19'51"W
OS Eastings: 377216
OS Northings: 198027
OS Grid: ST772980
Mapcode National: GBR 0LV.RHD
Mapcode Global: VH958.K130
Entry Name: Wresden Farmhouse, Mill and Attached Barn
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131588
Location: Uley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11
Civil Parish: Uley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Uley with Owlpen and Nympsfield
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 NE ULEY DURSLEY ROAD
4/135 (north side)
Wresden Farmhouse, Mill
and attached barn
(formerly listed as
(sometimes known as
Eyles House) including
attached cloth store
Mill house, mill, and barn, now farmhouse and barn. 1668 and 1687 with C19 wing and
C19 barn. Limestone rubble, stone slate roof, concrete tile to former mill unit.
Original house plain gabled building with cross passage, approached on north side by
two-storey porch; to this a large return wing added on the west, and attached to the
east gable the two-storey mill; beyond this, at right angles, at the east end, the
North, or entrance front in 2 storeys with, left, in the mill, two circular under two
small elliptical 'pitching eyes', and to house proper 2-light stone mullioned
casements, with stopped drip, left of gabled porch, pargetted in upper level with date
stone 'IEE 1687'; under this old plank door in heavy moulded frame, and, built in to
porch entry, some C17 turned balusters. On south front, two storeys, three windowed
to first floor, four windowed below, 2 or 3-light casements; in mill, right, 4 modern
windows. In south gable, 3-storeys, tablet records '1668 IE Rebuilt 1845'.
Interior: large fireplace in room to right of porch, fire back dated 1684; stair by
stack at upper level, bowed collar roof, built-in Jacobean bed. This was the mill of
John Eyles, d 1731 at the age of 91, and the first maker of Spanish Cloth in Uley.
The mill said to be 'one of the oldest in Gloucestershire' [Tann].
Barn in 3 bays, half-hipped north end, gabled cant entrance, pair old plank doors on
peg hinges, slits to south gable. See Jennifer Tann, Gloucestershire Woollen Mills,
Listing NGR: ST7721698027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings