History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Hardwicke, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8102 / 51°48'36"N

Longitude: -2.3007 / 2°18'2"W

OS Eastings: 379364

OS Northings: 212433

OS Grid: SO793124

Mapcode National: GBR 0KC.F4V

Mapcode Global: VH94J.2RKQ

Plus Code: 9C3VRM6X+3P

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131736

Location: Hardwicke, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Hardwicke

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hardwicke

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in


(north side)
4/81 Church of St. Nicholas



Parish church. C13; C15 south aisle; C19 north aisle; restored in
1840, possibly by D.J. Niblett of Hares field; further 1878
restoration by Waller and Son. Limestone ashlar; stone slate roof.
Nave with north and south aisles; south west tower; south porch;
chancel with north and south chapels. Moulded C13 pointed arched
south doorway with attached jamb columns having stiff-leaf
capitals; stiff-leaf terminals to hood; studded plank door with
cover strips. Parapet gabled porch with trefoil-headed side
lancets, internal stone seats and wagon roof. South aisle is
restored C19 with east offset buttress and 2-light lancet. South
chapel has indications of alterations to fenestration: C19 restored
moulded Tudor-arched priest's doorway with hood and plank door; to
right 3-light square-headed late C14 window with ogee-headed
lights. C19 north aisle has pointed-arched doorway and three 2-
light lancets in buttressed wall; similar fenestration to rebuilt
north chapel. West end: parapet gabled with early Perpendicular
transomed nave window between offset buttresses; C19 3-light west
window to north aisle. East end: parapet gables to south chapel
and chancel are flush, but of 2 builds; east chancel window is C14
2-light with geometrical tracery, moved from Haresfield Church
(Haresfield CP, q.v.) in 1840 restoration; 3-light Decorated with
quatrefoil tracery to south chapel; small C13 2-light to north side
of chancel and C19 2-light to parapet gabled east end of north
chapel. Early C14 tower of 3 stages with offset angle buttresses
to lower stage and trefoil-headed lancets in 2 faces; chamfered
rectangular openings in 2 faces of middle stage; tall narrow
trefoil-headed belfry openings; C14 moulded crenellated parapet
with moulded string course below having remains of 2 animal
gargoyles in 2 faces. Limewashed interior. South arcade of 3 bays
restored in 1840 has octagonal columns with moulded capitals and
bases; 4-bay north arcade of 1878 to match; C13 pointed chancel
arch with hood mould; 2-light squint with trefoiled lancets in
square opening to right; panelled timber barrel nave roof. Chancel
has 2-bay arcade to north chapel as those to aisles; 3 openings to
south chapel, from east: small single lancet, large round arch with
small keystone and imposts, and arch of memorial to John Trye (see
below); 5-bay C19 arched-braced collar and king post truss chancel
roof with brattished wall plate. Restored C19 pointed arch divides
each aisle from chapel; both aisles with Cl9 wagon roofs; pointed
early C14 tower arch. Flat panelled timber ceiling to south chapel
with cambered side panels. Two C13 lancet piscinae in south
chancel wall; Cl9 box pews; C13 circular stone font in nave with
clustered shafts to pedestal. In south chapel 5 chest tombs to
Trye family: 3 at east end are carved with coats of arms and
variety of attached columns and pilasters; 2 have marble tops
inscribed to Anne Trye, died 1678 and William Trye, died 1681;
another with moulded limestone top inscribed to John Trye the
Elder, died 1597. Two chest tombs against south chapel wall: 1
with fluted Ionic pilasters and 2 side inscription panels to
Captayne Henry Trye (sic), died 1629 and WILLIAM TRYE, died 1609;
another is low, lyre-ended with marble inscribed top, now
illegible. Large, arched, open-sided memorial in south chancel
wall is Jacobean with crudely carved entablature of different
designs to north and south; crested arms mounted on keystone;
beneath lies recumbent effigy with hound at feet and effigy of
child alongside; said to be memorial to John Trye, died 1591.
Memorial on south chapel wall with arms surmounting scrolled
pediment and moulded panel below, inscribed in latin to 'Jonannis
Trye, obdormuit Ano Dm 1651. Greek revival wall memorial in north
chapel to RICHARD MARTIN, died 1818, by T. KING of Bath. Memorial
in tower surmounted by cherub's heads to John Stratton, died 1719.
(C.R,Elrington, 'Hardwicke' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp. 178-188;
and D. Verey. Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean,

Listing NGR: SO7936112432

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.