This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7442 / 51°44'39"N
Longitude: -2.2924 / 2°17'32"W
OS Eastings: 379908
OS Northings: 205099
OS Grid: SO799050
Mapcode National: GBR 0L4.P7S
Mapcode Global: VH94X.6FY6
Entry Name: Stonehouse Court Hotel
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132021
Location: Stonehouse, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Stonehouse
Built-Up Area: Stonehouse
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stonehouse St Cyr
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 7905 STONEHOUSE BRISTOL ROAD
6/145 Stonehouse Court Hotel
(previously listed as Stonehouse
Former large country house, now hotel. Dated 1601 for Daniel
Fowler; altered 1906 by E.L. Lutyens for A.S. Winterbotham;
internal rebuilding with alterations after 1908 fire. Random
rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey
with attic and cellar; U-plan with 2-storey porch on north side.
North front: 2 parapet gables with projecting gabled ashlar-
fronted porch between with hoodmould to round-arched opening
reached by semi-circular stone steps; datestone over is C19 or
early C20, 'ER 43/ 1601'; 2-light mullioned casement with pointed
heads above. Three-window mullioned and transomed fenestration
either side of porch are early C20 replacements, all with leaded
casements and hoodmoulds. Small 2-light with arched heads in each
gable; 2 small hipped roof dormers between gables; chamfered
mullioned casements of 2, 3 and 4-light to cellar. Many diagonal-
set chimneys with moulded caps; especially large cluster at west
end. Small Gothic doorway in attached screen wall at west end.
East end: 2 parapet gables, left with projecting chimney having
cluster of 5 diagonal shafts; scattered fenestration. South
front: parapet gable ends of 2 wings with early C20 altered main
range between. Single-window fenestration to wings, all mullioned
or mullioned and transomed with hoodmoulds and leaded casements,
mostly dating from rebuilding after fire. Off-centre octagonal 2-
storey bay window with chamfered parapet top-is addition by Lutyens
surviving fire; eaves-mounted chimney with 2 diagonal shafts
adjoins to right and, in corner against east wing, tall octagonal
stair turret with scattered single stair-lights and 4-centred
doorway with inscription over: 'QVOD RESVRREXI / CAROLINAE EST /
MCMVIII', was built as fire escape after fire. West end: parapet
gable to end of main range. Two-storey brick service wing.
Interior: fine Baroque stone fireplace in main hall has scrolled
pediment and large pedestal-mounted cartouche. Most panelling
post-1908 except for main room in west wing which has original
timber Jacobean fireplace and panelling. Staircase has segmental
tunnel vault with banded plaster decoration at upper floor level
and typical Lutyens construction with Surrey-style framed panel
above large Tudor arch. Distinctive design of stepped beam stops.
(View of house immediately after fire in J.H.A. Anderson,
Stonehouse: a Pot-Pourri of the Past in Pictures, n.d.; A.S.G.
Butler, The Architecture of Sir Edwin Lutens, 1950; N.M. Herbert,
'Stonehouse' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 267-289; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO7990805099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings