This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8089 / 51°48'32"N
Longitude: -1.7903 / 1°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 414553
OS Northings: 212272
OS Grid: SP145122
Mapcode National: GBR 4RB.J6D
Mapcode Global: VHB27.XSDN
Entry Name: Lodge Park and Adjoining Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130612
Location: Sherborne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sherborne St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SHERBORNE LODGE PARK
SP 11 SW
3/174 Lodge Park and adjoining
walls and railings
Former grandstand, now house. Mid C17, altered and extended late
C19. Built for John Dutton. Probably designed by John Webb (q.v.
Lamport Hall, Northamptonshire) but executed by Valentine Strong of
Taynton. Converted into house and extended in 1898 by King, for
Emily Theresa, Lady Sherborne, further interior alterations
undertaken in 1930s. Ashlar with rusticated quoins and moulded
plinth. Flat leaded roof to main body. Stone slate roof to game
larder. Rectangular main body. Single bay extension of 1898 at
rear. Short corridor, open on one side from west to small game
larder with square plan set within courtyard wall at rear. Three-
bay portico with first floor verandah. Fenestration of main body;
cross windows with moulded architraves and square-sectioned
architraves. Shallow segmental pediments over ground floor windows
either side of entrance portico, moulded cornice continued at same
level. Broken triangular pediments over first floor windows.
Stone busts of 4 men and one woman set within pediments. Two
shell-headed alcoves either side of central window. Balustrade
with plain intermediary piers. Portico spanning central 3 bays
with 4 banded columns with round-headed arches and rusticated
stonework. Parapet matching that above first floor windows.
Double part-glazed door with two fielded panels at bottom; within
moulded round-headed surround with bag stops and imposts continued
as bands either side. Carved keystone and spandrels with stylised
foliate decoration. Engaged splat baluster type decoration from
impost level to band above door either side of doorway. Single
windows to returns of main body. Late C19 extension at rear, 2
storeys. Stone-mullioned cross-windows to ground floor, 2-light
stone-mullioned casement to first floor. Two-light stone-mullioned
casements with glazing bars at rear. Mid C17 composite stack set
back at rear of main body. Later stacks with moulded cappings.
Pyramidal roof to game store.
Interior; originally comprised two rooms one above the other, the
lower room functioning as the hall, the upper room opening onto
the balcony. The rooms formerly communicated via a projecting
staircase at the north-west corner. The staircase continued
upwards to open out via a flat-roofed rectangular access turret
onto the roof (now demolished). The interior was divided into two
rooms and the upper floor into 3 during the alterations of 1898.
The present staircase was inserted in 1930s. On the back wall of
the hall were two fireplaces originally surmounted by shell
alcoves. The surround of the mid C17 fireplace remains but the
overmantel was replaced by a tympanum with the initials 'E.T.S'
(Emily Theresa, Lady Sherborne). Double width doorway right of
fireplace within stone surround with double bolection moulding with
moulded stops and keystone. Reveal above impost level carved to
give panelled appearance. Single 6-panel door. Small probably
late C19 stone fireplace with bolection moulding within left-hand
room. Similar fireplace in an upstairs bedroom. C17 moulded 4-
centred arched fireplace with moulded stops and spandrels with
raised panels at centre in north wall of upper left-hand room.
False ceiling. Subsidiary features; cast-iron railing and ashlar
walling. Walls; mid C17, railings probably C19. Railings run for
c6m either side of house, boundary subsequently continued as a wall
for c20m with intermediary rusticated piers. The wall then returns
forwards for c20m terminating in square, banded piers with moulded
cappings and ball finials. Similar piers flank openings at
corners. Two plank doors within surrounds with moulded architraves
in returns. (Property of the National Trust).
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and
Country Life, September 26 1963)
Listing NGR: SP1455312272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings