This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6923 / 51°41'32"N
Longitude: -2.3524 / 2°21'8"W
OS Eastings: 375736
OS Northings: 199344
OS Grid: ST757993
Mapcode National: GBR 0LN.S30
Mapcode Global: VH952.5QQJ
Plus Code: 9C3VMJRX+W2
Entry Name: Parish Church of St George
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131408
Location: Cam, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11
Civil Parish: Cam
Built-Up Area: Dursley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cam St George
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 NE CAM CHURCH ROAD
4/8 (north side)
Parish Church of St
Anglican parish church. Mainly mid C14, but chancel arch C13, north aisle C15; porch
restored 1836-52 and chancel 1845, both by George Madan, the incumbent. Cotswold
limestone but clearstorey wall in marlstone; roofs lead except stone slate to
chancel. West tower, part, north and south aisles, 2-storey south porch chancel.
Tower in four stages plus blank panelled crenellation and three diagonal pinnacles,
diagonal buttresses becoming square clamp, above and below first string course at each
corner are fine paired corbel heads or animal carvings; nave clearstorey with four
2-light perpendicular lights and pierced parapet over string course with ball-flower,
south aisle with 2-light restored C14 windows and unpierced parapet. Chancel with
2-light C14 windows and unpierced parapet. Chancel with 2-light C14 windows and
parapet string course with ball-flower. At each end of north aisle 3-light traceried
window with part-crenellated transome north aisle walling worn marlstone to eaves, no
parapet blocked north door. Interior: vaulted tower, quadripartite with ridge ribs,
modern glazed screen to tower arch. 4-bay nave, heavy octagonal piers on plinth,
simple bell capitals, heavy double chamfer arches, dying into wall, continuous string
over. Arch-braced low-pitch boarded ceiling; lean-to north aisle with heavy central
purlin, 5-bay, 3 arch braces brought down to low corbels; blocked north door not
aligned with south door. South aisle, 4-bay, C19 roof structure. Chancel arch has
twin north, and triple, south cusped openings at low level, and arch mould stopped to
octagonal cap on short triple shafts with keeled profile, springing from leaf-carved
brackets. Chancel rebuilt C19 has pointed barrel roof with painted ribs. Floors
generally stone, except under pews, and probably C19 tile to chancel, carpetted at
time of survey. Good Jacobean pulpit on chancel north respond; C13 font, with 3 sets
of dog-tooth ornament on C19 base; carved oak reredos, The Last Supper. East window,
south aisle, Clayton and Bell.
The church is reputed to have been rebuilt in c1340 by Lord Berkeley, following the
murder of Edward II.
See: David Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds (B/E), 1970.
Listing NGR: ST7573399343
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings