This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9248 / 51°55'29"N
Longitude: -1.7143 / 1°42'51"W
OS Eastings: 419741
OS Northings: 225180
OS Grid: SP197251
Mapcode National: GBR 4Q2.CDL
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.7WKB
Entry Name: Maugersbury Manor
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130273
Location: Maugersbury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Maugersbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stow-on-the Wold St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
MAUGERSBURY MAUGERSBURY VILLAGE
SP 12 NE
3/160 Maugersbury Manor
(formerly listed as Manor House)
Former manor house now two houses, flats and school. C17, C18, C19
and C20. Coursed squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof,
ashlar stacks. Originally 'U' shaped in plan with projecting
central porch early C18, right wing now demolished, C18 and C19
extensions rear left, C20 flat-roofed extensions at rear and onto
right gable-end not of special interest. Main body; 2 storeys
raised to 3 storeys C18. Five bays; 2, 3 and 4-light double-
chamfered, stone-mullioned casements with stopped hoods, some with
ovolo-moulded mullions some hollow-moulded mullions plate glass
windows and leaded panes. Diocletian windows within plain
surrounds to third floor, some with leaded panes. Plate glass
sashes to bay right of porch with moulded and eared C18
architraves. Left wing, 2 storeys and attic lit by hipped roof-
dormer. Two C19 buttresses with Gothic panelling supporting right
wall. Central 2-storey porch with central part glazed. C19
panelled door with carved wood trimmings within reused C13 pointed
arched surround with composite piers with foliate decoration to
capitals on left and ball flower decoration to capitals on right.
Surround removed from the Malthouse, Digbeth Street, Stow in 1865.
Part of former rainwater head, dated and initialled /17. S. C. 94/
covering C19 rainwater head left of projecting porch. Fenestration
at rear similar to that at front. Former C18 central doorway with
triple keystone and moulded surround hidden by C19 extension.
Hipped roof to porch at front. Axial and gable end stacks some
diagonally set, moulded cappings. Subsidiary features: wall c 5m
in height extends forwards from left wing, at front with blocked
doorway with triple keystone, possibly former entrance to walled
yard. Stone incorporated in flower bed right of entrance porch to
house with incised inscription /JOS CHAMBE..../ ESQ Apr '
17....../. History; possibly on the site of Evesham Abbey's house
mentioned in 1402 in the ownership of the Chamberlayne family from
1598 until the end of the C19.
Interior not inspected. (Engraving by J. Kip, Atkyns History of
Glos 1712 and V.C.H. Glos Vol VI).
Listing NGR: SP1974125180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings