This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8808 / 51°52'50"N
Longitude: -1.9815 / 1°58'53"W
OS Eastings: 401372
OS Northings: 220243
OS Grid: SP013202
Mapcode National: GBR 2MN.3VL
Mapcode Global: VHB1R.LZVL
Entry Name: Sandywell Park
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 11 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129103
Location: Andoversford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Andoversford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Dowdeswell and Andoversford
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 SW
(formerly listed in Dowdeswell
Country house. Built c1704 for Henry Brett, wings added c1720 probably by Faith
of Warwick. Ashlar, stone slate roof, stone stacks. Original rectangular core
of c1704, at centre of present house plan with c1720 wings either side and C19
extensions rear right and left.
Symmetrical, 2:5:2-windowed facade. 1704 core; 2 storeys, cellar
and attic lit by 9-pane sashes with triangular and segmental-headed
pediments. Three original sashes lighting attic at rear. Ground
and first floors lit by 12-pane sashes within moulded architraves
with small keystones. Band between ground and first floor windows.
Central C20 part-glazed doors flanked by fluted Corinthian columns
with segmental pediment over. Deep moulded eaves cornice. Three-
storey wings projecting forwards slightly from facade right and
left with panelled plinth. Twelve-pane sashes within lugged
architraves, large triple keystones and aprons, to ground and first
floors, similar 9-pane sashes to second floor. Giant Doric
pilasters at corners of each projecting wing. Stone balustrade
with large urn finials to wings, cast iron balustrade with square
decorative wrought iron panels between wings. South front; 5-
windowed with sash windows with keystones matching those lighting
wings of west front. Cellar lit by segmental-headed windows with
keystones. Central double 6-panelled door within rusticated
architrave. Two storey C19 wing right; 1:2:1 windowed, all 12-
pane sashes. Two storey wing forming opposite side of small yard
at rear - in similar style mostly lit by sash windows.
Interior: fireback possibly from earlier house on same site, dated
1630, reused in fireplace in C19 wing rear left. Early C18 open
string staircase at rear of early core with barley-twist balusters,
wreathed hand rail and decorative brackets on risers. Original
panelling, niches, architraves and pediments over doorways. House
had central C19 cupola and some Adam style fireplaces, the latter
from a house in Dover Street in London, at time of previous listing
(now removed). (David Verey, The Buildings of England,
Gloucestershire; The Cotswolds, 1979.)
Listing NGR: SP0137220243
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings