History in Structure

North House and Attached Garden Walls, Gate Piers and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Belsize, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5441 / 51°32'38"N

Longitude: -0.1721 / 0°10'19"W

OS Eastings: 526852

OS Northings: 184386

OS Grid: TQ268843

Mapcode National: GBR 50.KN

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.YGW4

Plus Code: 9C3XGRVH+J5

Entry Name: North House and Attached Garden Walls, Gate Piers and Gates

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477211

ID on this website: 101342060

Location: South Hampstead, Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Belsize

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Primrose Hill

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



798-1/61/410 (South side)
14/05/74 No.69
North House and attached garden
walls, gate piers and gates


Detached studio house. 1890. By Frederick Waller. For the
painter, the Hon John Collier. Red brick with terracotta
dressings and sill and floor bands. Slated hipped roofs with
projecting swept eaves having a moulded terracotta eaves
cornice, dormers and tall slab chimney-stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements. Irregular
fenestration. Entrance to right with terracotta round arch
flanked by large enriched console brackets supporting a broken
pediment with cartouche; flanked by narrow round-arched
windows, 1 to left, 3 to right. Panelled door with stained
glass glazing. Above, stepped narrow windows with ogee heads,
stained glass and set in enriched terracotta panels articulate
the stairs, 3 to each floor; monograms in panels "EC" (Ethel
Collier), "JC" (John Collier) and date "1890". Left hand bays
project in stages with 3 cambered arch sashes to ground floor,
1st floor with large 3-light terracotta window encased by
pilasters supporting a cornice window head with elaborate
finials to slate penthouse roof; round-arched central light
and flanking swag frieze. Recessed 2nd floor has 5-light
transom and mullion window with paterae frieze surmounted by
elaborate 3-light dormer with shell pediment and finials,
inscribed 1890. To left, arcaded ground floor with subsidiary
entrance supports studio with glazed roof and 6 arcaded lights
on a stone base with carved panels.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached red brick garden wall with
slightly projecting base, gate piers with enriched terracotta
friezes to cross gable caps and panelled timber gates.
HISTORICAL NOTE: John Collier, portrait painter, successively
married 2 daughters of Thomas Huxley; Frederick Waller was the
husband of another Huxley daughter. Collier lived and worked
here until 1934.

Listing NGR: TQ2685284386

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.