History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cellar House , the Granary, the Tudor House and the Gantry House at Graces Maltings

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7925 / 51°47'32"N

Longitude: -0.6623 / 0°39'44"W

OS Eastings: 492355

OS Northings: 211273

OS Grid: SP923112

Mapcode National: GBR F4N.FF4

Mapcode Global: VHFRW.G6QQ

Plus Code: 9C3XQ8RQ+X3

Entry Name: The Cellar House , the Granary, the Tudor House and the Gantry House at Graces Maltings

Listing Date: 21 September 1951

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355674

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Tring

Built-Up Area: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tring

Description

SP 9211
11/37
21.9.51

TRING
AKEMAN STREET
(East side)
The Cellar House, The Granary, The Tudor House, and The Gantry House at Graces Maltings (formerly listed as No. 15)

GV
II

House and attached grain store, now 4 houses. Early C16 former open hall
house with N crosswing, early C17 floor inserted in hall, and chimney
and service wing in SE angle added, N wing remodelled with 2 rooms on
each floor in late C17, front faced in brick and shallow bay windows
added in early C19, hall chimney cut back c.1863, all renovated and
converted in 1980's. Timber frame, red brick cased, N house plastered,
steep old red tile roofs. A long 1 1/2 storeys range along the street front
racing W, with 2-storeys gabled crosswing at N end. N half roughcast
with black plinth and exposed timber frame on 1st floor of crosswing.
2-storeys canted bay window to this wing with sashes and tilehung apron
to 1st floor. Frontage set forward a little with rounded infill to
corner, and one large and 3 small gabled sash windows breaking through
eaves. Irregular window pattern with 2-triple-sash windows and narrower
window to LH in position of former door. Lean-to hood to door leading to
passage into courtyard. S half with some eaves height is in red brick
with 4 irregularly spaced small casements with segmental arches (RH
window added in 1980's) and 3 swept dormers breaking through the eaves.
LH dormer added 1980's and RH one altered from upper door into former
grain store. Long 2-storey rear range to E of crosswing a kiln and
maltings much altered and converted, not of special interest. Frame
exposed inside shows N wing of same build as hall range. The latter has
jowled posts, box frame, and open truss with boldly cambered tie-beam,
principal rafters, collar with arched braces springing from tie-beam,
and below peg holes at E for former arched-brace from wallpost to
tie-beam. Cruck truss next to S with slightly curved blades rising a
little past a slightly cambered collar. E blade has bottom cut away and
is carried on a tie-beam. Formerly a closed truss with upper face to N.
Inclined queen-post trusses cut through for access to S parts. Hall of 2
unequal bays and unusual structure. W wing has clasped-purlin roof of 3
bays and large C16 ground floor fireplace of plastered brick with high
3-centred arched head and mouldings carried down jambs. Upper floor of
crosswing has curved tension braces and straight wind-braces. (RCHM
Typescript).

Listing NGR: SP9235511273

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.