This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6019 / 52°36'6"N
Longitude: 0.2222 / 0°13'20"E
OS Eastings: 550593
OS Northings: 302780
OS Grid: TF505027
Mapcode National: GBR M3X.WHY
Mapcode Global: WHJPQ.DV1N
Plus Code: 9F42J62C+QV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221828
Location: Upwell, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14
Civil Parish: Upwell
Built-Up Area: Upwell
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Upwell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
UPWELL SMALL LODE
15/43 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C13 north-west tower, nave early C14 but rebuilt with aisles
and chancel mid C15. Restored 1836-38, crenellations to parapets added 1842,
chancel restored 1887. Barnack stone and clunch with leaded roofs. 3 stage
tower over north aisle with angle buttresses to second stage. 3-light mid
C14 west window with hexagon tracery and hood mould. String courses at
division of storeys. 2-light C13 plate tracery ringing chamber windows with
columns as responds and as central shaft. Spandrels pierced by trefoils.
South window obscured by later nave. Octagonal late C14 belfry stage with
renewed glazed 2-light cusped windows. String course below crenellated
parapet. West door into nave is arched. Above is 4-light cusped intersecting
west window of early C14. Crenellated gable. Both aisles and clerestories
with crenellated parapets. Aisles with 5 3-light C15 panel tracery windows
under 4-centred arches and between stepped buttresses. 4-centred door in
west bay of south aisle and 2 storeyed porch in west bay of north aisle.
Porch is gabled with angle buttresses and entered through wave moulded arch.
2-light square-headed side windows below first floor trefoiled lancet. To
north a 3-light flat-headed panel tracery window flanked by a statuary niche
right and left. Each niche with nodding ogee canopy. Interior of porch has
a tierceron vault. Clerestory of 2-light square-headed windows with cusped
round arches (6 to south, 5 to north). To south-east of nave is a brick stair
turret terminating in bell-cote with finial. Chancel supported by stepped
buttresses to flanks, angle buttresses to east. 3 3-light 4-centred panel
traceried windows to flanks, the centre window on south side reduced to
accommodate arched priests door. C19 4-light Perpendicular east window.
C19 single storey vestry to chancel north. Interior. 6 bay arcade of
lozenge piers on high plinths supporting continuous double wave and roll
moulded arches. Polygonal capitals to east and west. Clerestory windows
over apexes of arches. Thin colonnettes rise from spandrels of arches to
roof corbels. Blocked south and east tower arches. Nave roof of alternating
tie and hammer beams, the latter carrying flight of carved angels with spread
wings. Tie beams have arched braces dropping to corbels, crenellations and
carved angels. From ties traceried panels rise to moulded principals. Arched
braces with fleurons rise from hammer beams to principals (there are 2 pairs
of principals to each bay). One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece.
Central roof bosses in form of carved angels. Aisle roofs also of hammer
beam type, each alternate hammer beam in form of carved angel with spread
wings. Principals and 2 tiers butt purlins are moulded. Non-figurative
hammer beams have carved and traceried arched braces dropping down to similar
wall posts on carved corbels, and traceried arched braces rising up to
principals. Western and north galleries 1838 stand on octagonal cast iron
columns. Chancel roof has boarded ashlaring decorated with row of angels.
Row of false hammer beams with alternating carved figures of angels and
devils. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Bosses to former
are foliate, to the latter are angels. In nave octagonal C15 font, the stem
with shields and nodding ogees, the bowl with angels holding shields. Chancel
south wall contains brass to William Mowbray 1428 beneath triple cusped
canopy. Chancel north wall contains brass to Henry Martyn 1435 with flanking
shields. Both are in clasical dress.
Listing NGR: TF5059302780
Other nearby listed buildings