History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mundford, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5124 / 52°30'44"N

Longitude: 0.6519 / 0°39'6"E

OS Eastings: 580052

OS Northings: 293801

OS Grid: TL800938

Mapcode National: GBR Q9M.HM3

Mapcode Global: VHJFH.73ZV

Plus Code: 9F42GM62+WQ

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 23 June 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220982

Location: Mundford, Breckland, Norfolk, IP26

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Mundford

Built-Up Area: Mundford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Mundford St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in



8/35 Church of St.Leonard

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick
dressings. Plaintile roofs. Aisleless nave with north porch and tower to
south west; chancel with vestry to north. Tower 1854 with diagonal buttresses.
One 2-light cusped Y-traceried ground floor window, two cusped loops to first
floor and 4 single light cusped bell openings. Saddleback roof with short
spire. South wall of nave with 3 2-light C14 windows with mouchettes and
daggers. West wall with one late Medieval 3-light window and a modern quatre-
foil in gable. North porch probably post-Medieval with brick dressings.
Entrance front with chequer pattern of brick and knapped flint. Plain
chamfered entrance arch. 2-light mullion side windows with rectangular hood
moulds. C14 moulded doorway. 3 C14 north windows similar to south wall.
Chancel with 2 rebuilt 2-light south windows and a Priest's doorway. C18
hollow chamfered triple lancet east window. North side with vestry of 1900
and one late-Medieval 2-light window. Interior. C14 chancel arch with shafted
responds and wave moulded arch. Fragmentary late-Medieval chancel screen
revitalised with the addition of an organ loft and tracery designed by
Sir Ninian Comper in 1911-12. Also by Comper are the front nave pews, the
pulpit, the reading desk, organ case, chancel stalls, ceiling, reredos and
east window stained glass. C14 font with mutilated Evangelist carvings.

Listing NGR: TL8005293801

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.