This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6814 / 52°40'52"N
Longitude: 0.9434 / 0°56'36"E
OS Eastings: 599064
OS Northings: 313360
OS Grid: TF990133
Mapcode National: GBR SBJ.Z72
Mapcode Global: WHLRY.GVGS
Entry Name: St Nicholas Works
Listing Date: 25 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219499
Location: Dereham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR19
Civil Parish: Dereham
Built-Up Area: Dereham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: East Dereham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
The following building shall be added:
1067 COWPER ROAD
TF 9913 3/105 St. Nicholas Works
Agricultural engineering works. Built in 1846 for J.W. Gidney and Son.
Flemish bond red brick, the north side and east end are roughcast. Corrugated iron
roofs with gabled ends.
Plan: Long rectangular plan; 2 storeys at the east end and single storey at the
west end. The west end is divided into 2 sections inside but it is not certain
whether there are partition walls inside the 2 storey east range.
Exterior: 12-bay south elevation; 6 bays to right 2 storey and 6 bays to left
1 storey. The bays are divided by brick pilasters. Segmental-leaded window
openings, smaller on first floor, all with original cast-iron windows, the glazing
bars with floral crosses at their intersections. Segmentally headed doorway in bay
8 from left (in 2 storey section) with plank door with elaborately scrolled
cast-iron strap hinges. The north elevation has similar windows and there are the
same cast-iron windows on the east end either side of a wide doorway with a loading
doorway above, now boarded over; the ground floor window to right has been blocked.
At the west end there is a small round window with a cast-iron frame in the apex of
the gable and a wide sliding door below.
Interior: Not inspected but the roof of the single storey range was seen to have
the original cast-iron trusses with pierced spandrels to the braces under the
collars. The roof structure of the 2-storey range is probably also original but the
floor is now supported on RSJ's.
Historical Note: Jeremiah William Gidney's firm was founded in the C18 and it
made wire fencing and farm implements. His son, W.T. Gidney, by 1864 was using the
building as an iron and brass foundry and he was a whitesmith as well as a coal
merchant. In the late C19 the business passed to John Roots who already had a large
works at South Green, where he operated a steam threshing machine and made
agricultural implements. In 1910 he built a roller skating rink in a corner of the
yard of the St. Nicholas works. In 1919 the premises were rented to Balding Bros.
who eventually bought it in 1934 and it is still used as an agricultural engineering
Source: Norfolk Heritage Trust.
Listing NGR: TF9906413360
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings