This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3766 / 51°22'35"N
Longitude: 0.6477 / 0°38'51"E
OS Eastings: 584368
OS Northings: 167499
OS Grid: TQ843674
Mapcode National: GBR QRC.NKV
Mapcode Global: VHJLX.5NSK
Plus Code: 9F329JGX+J3
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176207
Location: Upchurch, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Upchurch
Built-Up Area: Upchurch
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 86 NW
HORSHAM LANE (north side)
Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Parish church. Chancel c.1300, nave and east chapels C14, restored 1875 by Blomfield. Flint and rubble, with plain tiled roofs and shingled spire. Chancel with north and south chapel, nave with aisles, west tower north and south porches.
Two stage battered tower with roll moulded and plain chamfered west doorway, and restored C15 Perpendicular west windows. Shingle spire of an eight sided cone placed over a pyramid, built 1915 after an explosion. South aisle with angle buttresses and offset porch with quatrefoiled oculi containing C14 glass. South chapel of rubble, east end of chancel flint and rubble, north chapel flint, with charnel cellar below, with restored geometric south east window, restored curvilinear east window with sexfoil and genuine C14 curvilinear north-east three light window with mouchettes. North aisle and north-east chapel with angle buttresses and three offset buttresses, with two large C14 windows, two light with quatrefoil over, and four smaller ones of similar pattern, with lean-to north porch.
Interior: unmoulded tower arch, with rounded corners projecting into nave containing stairs. Three bay nave arcade, octagonal piers with double chamfered arches, and three bay crown post roof with straight tie beams and solid knees on carved corbels. Nave and aisles with continuous wall seats. South aisle with C15 three bay cusped blind arcading and string course over. North-east corner of nave has exposed one shaft head c. 1300 and section of keel roll blind hollow chamfered nave arcade and chancel arch pre-dating C14 expansion of nave. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds. Chancel of c.1300 with later C14 two bay arcades to chapels, roll moulded with hollow and plain chamfer on square piers with attached marble shafts at corners, and carved leaf capitals, with fragments of earlier blind arcading and string course with same mouldings as fragment in nave. Trussed rafter roof.
Fittings: ascending triple stone sedilia in chancel, with wooden backboard. Piscinas in chancel, south chapel, and north aisle and two paired aumbreys in chancel east wall and aumbrey with door in south chapel. C14 screen to south chapel, with solid plastered base, with square-headed lights, two with mouchettes. C14 cusped and ogee-headed recess in south chapel, with attached shafts. Medieval floor tiles survive at nave east end (ten rows) and in north chapel. C12 architectural fragment in north aisle, zig-zag and diaper mouldings.
Monuments: C14 wall tomb, on north chapel, a marble slab with crocketed and cusped ogee arch with two castellated pinnacles. Two brasses in north aisle, half-length man and woman (15 in), c.1350, originally with inscription in French.
Glass: in north aisle, roundel c.1300 of angel, with other C14 and C15 figures, and roundels in south porch. Fragmentary wall painting in south aisle.
Listing NGR: TQ8434667457
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings