This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2964 / 51°17'46"N
Longitude: 0.9509 / 0°57'3"E
OS Eastings: 605822
OS Northings: 159385
OS Grid: TR058593
Mapcode National: GBR SWD.M71
Mapcode Global: VHKJX.FPK2
Plus Code: 9F327XW2+H9
Entry Name: 127-133, Boughton Street
Listing Date: 21 May 1986
Last Amended: 9 January 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176615
Location: Boughton under Blean, Swale, Kent, ME13
Civil Parish: Boughton under Blean
Built-Up Area: Boughton Under Blean
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1607/6/11 BOUGHTON STREET
21-MAY-86 BOUGHTON STREET
(Formerly listed as:
Three residential properties, originally two houses, later one house and two houses with shops on the ground floor. Nos. 129, 131 and 133 have an early C17 core with C18 additions, refronted in the early C19 and with late C19 shopfront. No. 127 is of early C19 date.
MATERIALS: Painted brick to principal north front. Red brick in flemish bond to the south side of Nos. 129, 131 and 133 and weatherboarded attic gables. Tiled roof, hipped to the front range and with half-hipped rear range to Nos. 129, 131 and 133. Tall brick chimneystack between No. 129 and 131.
PLAN: Nos. 129, 131 and 133 were originally one property, the front range probably a three bay lobby entrance house. A parallel range of two storey and attics was added to the south and an attached single-storey outbuilding. In the C19 a shopfront was inserted in the ground floor of No. 131. No. 127 was a later separate building of two storeys and attic and one bay.
EXTERIOR: The north or principal front of Nos. 129, 131 and 133 is labelled "Kentfield House" in a plaque on the first floor of No. 129. There is a moulded brick eaves cornice. No. 129 has an C18 hipped dormer with leaded lights, No. 131 has a large later C19 gabled dormer with sash window with vertical glazing bars and horns. The first floor has three irregularly-spaced early C19 tripartite multipane sash windows. There is a platband between the floors to No. 129 and its ground floor has a mid-C20 canted bay and four-panelled door with flat hood over. No. 131 has a large late C19 shopfront with end pilasters, reeded brackets, fascia and half-glazed door between two shopfronts which have ventilation grilles and stall risers. The ground floor of No. 133 originally had a 12-pane sash but this was replaced by a small C20 shopfront. The south front of Nos. 129, 131 and 133 is of red brick (No. 131 painted) and No. 133 includes some reused C17 bricks. There are three weatherboarded half-hipped gables. No. 131 has two early C19 multipane sash windows and a mid-C19 sash with verticals only. Most of the other windows are casements. Attached between Nos. 129 and 131 is a single-storey brick outbuilding with brick chimneystack.
The north side of No. 127 has a similar moulded eaves cornice. The attic has a hipped dormer with C19 casement. The first floor has a 12-pane sash with horns and the ground floor a cambered opening with C20 sliding casement. To the right side is a flat moulded wooden hood and C20 half-glazed door.
INTERIOR: The front room of No. 131 has a wide fireplace with early C17 brick chimneystack, two axial beams and some exposed floor joists. There is a change of level between the front and back ranges and an early C19 door between the two with marginal glazing. The rear ground floor room has an C18 chimneybreast with cambered head and a timber partition wall with brick infill. The first floor front bedroom to No. 131 has C17 crossbeams, early C19 fireplace with moulded shelf and two plank cupboard doors on either side of the chimney. The front bedroom to No. 133 has a two panelled cupboard door with L-hinges. The rear bedroom to No. 131 has a moulded cornice, C18 wooden fireplace with eared architrave and late C19 glazed tiles, two two-panelled cupboard doors with L-hinges and a two-panelled door. A further bedroom has an upended chamfered C17 ceiling beam and in the bathroom an C18 partition wall is visible. A half-winder staircase leads to the attic but the roof structure has been plastered over. There is a flying freehold between Nos. 129 and 131.
HISTORY: The front range of Nos. 129, 131 and 133 is under one hipped roof and therefore likely to have been one property originally. An internal inspection has revealed a C17 core. The rear range was added in the C18. The building was refronted in the early C19 and although the plaque with the name "Kentfield House" is on the first floor of No. 129 all these properties may have been known by this name at one time. A shopfront was inserted into No. 131 in 1896 and No. 129 was in use as a post office. On the 1872 Ordnance survey map Nos. 127, 129, 131 and 133 are shown as separate properties. No. 127 appears to have been built adjoining in the early C19 at about the time that the front range of Nos. 129-133 was refronted.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
* Nos. 129,131 and 133 contain an early C17 core and C18 and early C19 joinery whilst No. 127 is also of interest as an early C19 infill probably taking advantage of the fashionable refronting of Kentfield House and the neighbouring No. 125;
* The buildings have group value within a designated conservation area.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings