This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1247 / 51°7'29"N
Longitude: 1.0332 / 1°1'59"E
OS Eastings: 612346
OS Northings: 140537
OS Grid: TR123405
Mapcode National: GBR TZY.J04
Mapcode Global: VHKKQ.VZKN
Plus Code: 9F3342FM+V7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175603
Location: Monks Horton, Folkestone and Hythe, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Monks Horton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 14 SW MONKS HORTON
1/27 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C13 and C14, restored 1847. Flint and stone, with stone
dressings. Plain tile roof. Nave and chancel, with north vestry.
limber west belfry removed 1847. Nave: C13. No plinth. Two west and
one south buttress. C19 flint and stone west bell-cote. C19 west lancet
with hoodmould. Two C19 lancets, and one C19 2-light window to south.
Unchamfered pointed-arched west doorway. Right jamb of blocked doorway
towards centre of south side, possibly of re-used stone, with fragments
of 3 scratch dials. Chancel: C13. South buttress. Two C19 south
lancets, two rebated east lancets, and one north lancet. Vestry: C19.
Flint stack to east. Two north lancets. West doorway with Caernavon
arch. Nave, north elevation: one buttress. Stumps of 6 stone rood-loft
stairs projecting from wall towards east end. One C19 lancet and one C19
two-light window. Blocked chamfered pointed-arched doorway towards
centre. Interior: Structure: doubly hollow-chamfered, probably C14,
chancel arch dying into wall. Blocked rebated rectangular stone
doorway to rood-loft stairs. Roof: moulded octagonal crown - posts to
nave, on chamfered tie-beams. Sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Common-
rafter roof to chancel, with sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Decoration:
fragments of C15 stained glass to north-west window of nave. Armour:
funerary helm with crest of arm holding pistol; probably for George
Rooke, d.1649, but assembled from earlier pieces. (R. Leadbetter,
unpublished Church Guide, 1984) (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North-East
and East Kent, 1976).
Listing NGR: TR1212940076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings