This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.318 / 51°19'4"N
Longitude: 0.8953 / 0°53'42"E
OS Eastings: 601851
OS Northings: 161636
OS Grid: TR018616
Mapcode National: GBR SW3.C50
Mapcode Global: VHKJW.G4NF
Entry Name: The Masonic Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Last Amended: 3 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175818
Location: Faversham, Swale, Kent, ME13
Civil Parish: Faversham
Built-Up Area: Faversham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The Masonic Hall
under The Shooting
TR 0161 NE 1/69 29.7.50.
Originally the Free Grammar School, founded in 1527, built in 1587 and
moved to another site in 1879. The construction of the building is
similar to the contemporary Guildhall. It is a timber-framed building
originally standing on an open arcade consisting of 2 rows of 5
octagonal columns supporting heavy beams with brackets attached to
them, the 1st floor overhanging on a bressummer on each side. Only
a small portion of the ground floor at the North end was enclosed with
a timbered wall. The remainder was originally open and used as
a play-ground. Above was the School-room and the Master's Study.
Now the whole of the ground floor has been built in, but it is
recessed, still leaving the columns of the arcade on each side
free. The 1st floor is faced with weather-boarding. On the East
side are 5 modem casement windows, now obscured with black paint.
Tiled roof. At the North and South ends are gables overhanging on
bressummers with cove beneath, also moulded bargeboards which have
recently been renewed, but without their original pendants at apex
and angles. 6-light windows on these fronts with wooden mullions
and transoms. Panelling inside. Photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: TR0185161636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings