This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1707 / 51°10'14"N
Longitude: -2.9735 / 2°58'24"W
OS Eastings: 332033
OS Northings: 141721
OS Grid: ST320417
Mapcode National: GBR M6.6JH0
Mapcode Global: VH7DB.DTWY
Plus Code: 9C3V52CG+7H
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269495
Location: Puriton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Puriton
Built-Up Area: Puriton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
PURITON CP RYE (North side)
5/54 Church of St Michael and All
Anglican parish church. Early C13 tower, remainder C14/C15, cast-iron rainwater
head dated 1877 marking a restoration. Coursed and coursed and squared rubble,
freestone dressings, slate and lead sheeting roofs, except tower with pyramidal
fishscale tile roof with weathervane, coped verges. Nave, chancel, south porch,
north aisle, north vestry, west tower. Early English and Perpendicular. Squat
unbuttressed tower of 4 receding stages, embattled parapet on corbels, low
rectangular stair-turret to south with single pitch roof with stone slates; on
the lowest stage of tower a lancet window to west, on stage above further lancets
to north, south, and west sides; top stage with 2-light Perpendicular
bell-chamber windows; C19 west doorway, studded door with iron strap hinges;
clock to south with Roman numerals. Four bay nave, simple 2-light pointed-head
windows. High porch with shallow front-facing gable; a gargoyle in the form of an
angel to each side; outer door opening with moulded head on dressed lias jambs;
interior benched on a tile floor, C14/C15 roof with an ornamental wall plate,
inner dooway with ribbed and studded door with iron strap hinges; upper and
lower entrances to a parvis with stair, floor to this upper room now removed.
Four bay aisle, lean-to roof, 2-stage buttresses with offsets, simple 2-light
pointed head windows. Two bay chancel, much restored; diagonal 2-stage east
buttresses; 2-light square head windows, east end with 3 mid C19 neo-Early
English windows; priests door to south with scratch dial on a jamb. Vestry
with 2-light Gothick casement with Y-tracery. Interior scraped on C19 tile
floor by Maw and Co of Broseley Salop. C19 plastered wagon roof to nave, C19
wagon roof to chancel, C14/15 lean-to to north aisle. Tower arch low and
double-chamfered on moulded brackets, typical of their date. Plain chancel arch.
Four bay arcade to north aisle, piers of 4-hollows section. Perpendicular rood
screen, 3-light sections with some panel tracery, embattled top. C15 font;
Perpendicular piscina to aisle. Three-light pointed head window between aisle
and vestry with tracery; and 2-light square head window between chancel and
vestry, both obscured by the addition of the vestry. Chest dated
1629, further C17 chest and chair, leaden reredos incorporating Jacobean and
medieval work, made up from old pews and bench ends removed in 1859 when the
church was reseated. C19 choir stalls, altar rails, organ, lectern and pulpit;
chancel with sedilia, probably medieval but restored C19. C18 memorial slab to
nave, also early C19 wall monument with figure of grieving muse and mid C19
Gothic wall monument. Late C19 stained glass, west window with figures.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3202741719
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings