This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.29 / 51°17'23"N
Longitude: -2.5839 / 2°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 359382
OS Northings: 154702
OS Grid: ST593547
Mapcode National: GBR JR.YSX9
Mapcode Global: VH89F.5TCY
Plus Code: 9C3V7CQ8+XF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268083
Location: Litton, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Litton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST55SE LITTON CP LITTON VILLAGE
7/64 Church of St Mary
Anglican Parish Church. C13, C14, C15; mid C19 restoration and added north aisle, further early C20 work. Coursed and
squared rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, coped verges, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles,
south chancel chapel, south porch, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular. Two stage tower, bold set off, angle
buttresses, embattled parapet, corner pinnacles, stair turret; large gargoyles; beneath the parapet a series of carved
corbels, sore with foliate decoration, sole carved as heads; angels on north and south sides with carved arms,
Prebendary Richard Harewell 1366-1435 and Thomas Paulton, Archdeacon of Taunton 1395-1416; 2-light square headed bell
chamber openings with louvres, lancet to west, 3-light west window, west door. Three bay nave; 3 bay south aisle,
3-light windows and a 2-light window with flowing tracery to west. Continuous south chapel, single bay; aisle and .
chapel with parapet and coping. Conforming south porch; diagonal buttresses, parapet and coping, inside benched on
flagstone floor, stoup. Three bay gabled north aisle, 3-light windows in neo-Perpendicular style. Short single bay
chancel, 3-light east window. Interior scraped on flagstone floor. Nave with restored arch braced collar bear roof,
principals C15/C16; C14/C15 lean to roof to south aisle and chapel, moulded ribs; plaster ceiling to north aisle and
chancel. Simple chamfered tower arch; chancel arch and arcade to south aisle and chapel all in similar Perpendicualr
style, piers of 4-hollows section; C19 north aisle arcade. Hagioscope. Blocked C13 window to chancel, cusped rere arch.
Early piscina; octagonal Perpendicular font with enriched panels, fine coeval tester. C15 pews with traceried ends,
some good copies; altar rails and pulpit Jacobean. C19 box pew, lectern and organ. Early bells. C18 wall monument to
south aisle, early C19 wall monument. Late C19 stained glass to east window, remainder of openings leaded and plain.
(Murray, Litton Guide, undated; Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5938054703
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings