This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2761 / 51°16'33"N
Longitude: -2.58 / 2°34'47"W
OS Eastings: 359638
OS Northings: 153154
OS Grid: ST596531
Mapcode National: GBR JR.ZV0J
Mapcode Global: VH89M.76D2
Plus Code: 9C3V7CGC+C2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268038
Location: Chewton Mendip, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Chewton Mendip
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST55SE CHEWTON MENDIP CP CHURCH LANE (North side)
17/19 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Anglican Parish Church. Saxon establishment, work of C12, C13, C14, C15 and C16; restored 1865. Coursed and squared
rubble and ashlar, freestone dressings, lead sheeting and slate roofs, crested ridges. Nave, chancel, south aisle,
south chapel, south porch, large south vestry. Predominantly Perpendicular; Norman, Early English and Decorated work;
restoration in poor Early English style. Most note-worthy feature the tower, approx 38 a high, started about 1440,
finished ante 1535; set back buttresses, and a diagonal hiding the angle of the tower, higher up the buttresses became
angle buttresses terminating in pinnacles; battlements with blank arcading, further large pinnacles; low west door with
a 4-centred head, 4-light west window (with two 2-light sub-arches), statue of Christ above in a niche with 8 attendant
angels; above 2 tall blank transomed windows with flanking diagonal shafts; above is the bell-stage in conforming.
style, open windows with Somerset-type tracery. Four bay nave, a 2 and 3-light Perpendicular window on north side, and
a 2-light Decorated window; Norman north doorway with segmental arch and 2 orders of columns, scallop capitals carrying
a round arch with chevron decoration; pilaster-buttress at north-east corner, parapet, coping, pinnacles, large
gargoyles. Four bay south aisle, 3-light Perpendicular windows and a Decorated window; hidden by the C19 porch a Norman
corbel-table, probably re-used; vestry C19. Early-mid C13 chancel and south chapel; the north windows of the former
have pointed trefoiled rere-arches and the 2 bay arcade between thee rests on a quatrefoil pier with a water-holding
base, the capitals are stiff-leaf, double chamfered arches; chancel with C19 east window, chapel with Perpendicular
window; pilaster buttress at east end of chancel and retains of a corbel table. Interior scraped on a flagstone floor.
Roofs renewed C19, except fan-vault under tower. Norman arches flanking chancel arch, that to south now only
fragmentary; east portion of aisle arcade with C13 piers, quatrefoil, square bases said to be Norman, double chamfered
arches; west 2 bays of arcade C14 with octagonal piers. Perpendicular tower arch. Three piscinae; 2 medieval chests;
C16 carved bench ends; circular Early English font under tower; restored C15 sedilia; frid-stool to chancel; Jacobean
altar rails, altar table, reader and chest; C19 features include altar rails and rich glazed tiles. Much C19 stained
glass, but C15 and earlier fragments to chancel window. monument with effigies, Knight and Lady, probably Sir Henry
Fitzroger, obit 1388; wall monument to Frances Waldegrave, 1879 by Boehm. Bells of 1913. (Church Guide, 1980; Pevsner,
Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5964253151
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings