This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2636 / 51°15'48"N
Longitude: -2.2856 / 2°17'8"W
OS Eastings: 380169
OS Northings: 151639
OS Grid: ST801516
Mapcode National: GBR 0RY.QZC
Mapcode Global: VH977.BHKQ
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266984
Location: Beckington, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Beckington
Built-Up Area: Beckington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST8051 BECKINGTON CP CHURCH STREET (South side)
15/37 Church of St. George
Parish church. Predominantly Perpendicular, Norman west tower; C14 chancel with late C15 south chapel, clerestoried mid
C15 nave with north and south aisles, each with a porch; restoration of 1873 by Piers St. Aubyn. Random and coursed
rubble, stone slate roof. Diagonally buttressed 4-stage tower, 2-light windows to each side of top stage enclosed in an
arch of 2 orders, the inner with chevron decoration, 2 shafts to each side, and a single shaft between the lights;
flanking blind arcading. Second and third stages plain, blocked window on north side of base, C15 polygonal stair
turret, parapet and 5 light east window echoed inside by a fanvault and panelled tower arch. Aisles of 4 bays,
buttressed and gabled porches, to South with evidence of a loft; clerestory of 2-light, straight head windows. South
chapel with 4-light East window, and 6-light square head south window. One bay chancel, C19 east window, C14 two light
opening to south. Elaborately furnished scraped interior on encaustic tile floors. Four bay arcade, each pier of 4
clustered pillars, leaf cresting on arch springers, similar chancel arch. Tie beam and queen post nave roof of c1470,
similar dating to that to south arcade; remainder of roofs C19; many corbels carved as heads, 3 as lions passant. C13
octagonal font on 9 detached shafts. Mouments include reclining figures in chancel, a lady of the Enleigh family,
1370, and Sir John de Enleigh and his lady of 1380, brass set into floor to John Seyntamour and lady of 1485. Further
brasses to John Compton and wife of 1505, in chapel floor also 2 wool marks of 1585 on west side of arch to arcade.
South aisle has wall monument with bust to Samyel Danyel of 1619. Further C18 and C19 wall plaques. Furniture
includes C17 hanging chest and 3 further chests, C17 communion table and a C17 screen between south aisle and its
chapel with ballustraded upper portion. Carved royal ares on stone plaque of 1574 over South door. Pulpit, choir
stalls, and organ of late C19. Ogee headed piscina in chancel and an cumbray probably C14, further piscina at east end
of north aisle where there is panelling of a former reredos. C19 stained glass. (SANHS, Vol. 78 i. 39-44; R. W.
Dunning, The Church of St. George, Beckington, 1973; Country Life, April 4th 1908.)
Listing NGR: ST8016651639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings