This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3002 / 51°18'0"N
Longitude: -2.3282 / 2°19'41"W
OS Eastings: 377217
OS Northings: 155726
OS Grid: ST772557
Mapcode National: GBR 0RJ.D6S
Mapcode Global: VH970.LLK3
Plus Code: 9C3V8M2C+3P
Entry Name: Church of St Philip and St James
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267267
Location: Norton St. Philip, Mendip, Somerset, BA2
Civil Parish: Norton St Philip
Built-Up Area: Norton St Philip
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST7755 NORTON ST. PHILIP CP VICARAGE LANE (East side)
11/320 Church of St. Philip and St. James
Church C14, C15. North aisle probably C17, considerably restored in 1847 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed rubble
Doulting stone with upper sections of south and east elevations and north elevations in dressed stone, probably C19.
Stone slate roofs with coped gables with finials and crosses. West Tower, South Porch, North and South Aisles and
Chapels, and Chancel. The architectural style is unorthodox and somewhat eccentric though generally Perpendicular.
Tower; 3 stages with embattled parapet and pinnacles. Stair turret on South east corner, corner buttresses. Across
the buttresses on the west face, a quasi- porch, said to have been added in C17 and made up of fragments from the
dismantled Hinton Priory. 4-centered moulded pointed arch, with a niche each side, to outer doorway. West window;
3-light with cusped heads under pointed arch with stopped dripmoulds. Then row of 3-niches with cusped heads then 3
niches with 3 small, blocked windows over, under a pointed, moulded arch with stopped dripmould. Similar arrangements
on North and South sides of Tower. South Porch; C14, 2 centred, depressed single chamfered arch with carved stone
heads, access door to spiral stair, waggon roof with carved bases. Nave, North and South Aisles; 3 bays, corner
buttresses, Perpendicular 3-light windows with stopped dripmoulds. Interior; South arcade has square piers with
demi-shafts with fillets, arches with convex-quadrant mouldings, bay 3 is wider. North arcade bays 1 and 3; panelled
inside piers and arches; bay 2; C17, similar to South arcade, construction suggests reused components, possibly from
Hinton Priory. Perpendicular tower arch with tierceron vault to tower ceiling. Perpendicular arches to to Chancel and
Chancel Chapels. C19, hammer beam trussed roof with carved figures of angels, to Nave. C19, wagon roofs with
ornamental bosses to North and South aisles. Stained glass C19. North and South Chancel windows by T. K. Wallis, East
window by Christopher Webb. Over south door; wood hatchment, initialled CR, dated 1660. Font; octagonal,
Perpendicular with quatrefoils and shields. C19 wrought iron gates to Chancel made in 1890, screens to North and South
aisles, and to Tower arch erected 1886. Stone clergy stalls, marble revedos and alter. Monuments include; against
south wall of South aisle;; Tomb, c1460, chest with quatrefoils, effigy of a merchant, under a cusped arch. At west
end of nave; tablets including list of names and dates of monumental slabs moved during C19 reconstruction; bequest by
Rachel Coles, 1770; and Elton and Fripp 1808; Fair Maids of Foscott and the visit to the church by Samuel Pepys, 1668;
and a list of C18 members of the Rundell family. (SANHS, Proceedings Vol. 57, 1911; PE Lawless, The Church of St.
Philip and St. James, undated).
Listing NGR: ST7721755726
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings