This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1746 / 51°10'28"N
Longitude: -3.4185 / 3°25'6"W
OS Eastings: 300930
OS Northings: 142659
OS Grid: ST009426
Mapcode National: GBR LL.6CRH
Mapcode Global: VH6GM.PQMY
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1345731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265287
Location: Carhampton, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Carhampton
Built-Up Area: Carhampton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST0042 CARHAMPTON CP
15/5 Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. Perpendicular, extensively restored, north wall rebuilt 1862-3, tower rebuilt 1868-70 and vestry added.
Lias and red sandstone random rubble, tower squared and coursed red sandstone, chancel blue lias, slate roofs, coped
verges. Chancel and 4-bay nave without division, 6-bay south aisle, north east vestry, west tower, south porch.
Three-stage crenellated tower with crocketed pinnacles, diagonal buttresses, 3-light louvred bell openings,
stringcourses, lancet, 3-light west window, stair turret north east corner with octagonal crocketed roof; 3-light
window to west end of aisle, diagonal buttress, 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch with diagonal
stepped buttresses, lancet on right return, pointed arch opening chamfered in 2 orders, C19 inner door, stepped
buttress with 3-light window beyond, east end 2 tier 3-light window, east end of chancel 4-light window, 2-light window
to vestry possibly reset, door on north front, nave with two 3-light windows between buttresses. Interior rendered. No
chancel arch, C19 tower arch chamfered in 3 orders. Nave and chancel restored arch braced roof with gilded and painted
bosses, south aisle wallplate and open wagon roof with bosses. 6-bay standard Perpendicular arcade. Rood loft stair
with opening. Handsome 10-bay late C15 fan vaulted screen, painted and gilded with 5 carved friezes to cornice.
Early-mid C18 pulpit with raised and fielded panels, Late C19 square font, eariler font moved to Church of St
Bartholomew, Rodhuish (qv). Medieval chest. Brass plaque with fine lettering to Richard Escott died 1755 signed C
Sherborn, Gutter Lane, London. Marble aedicule to Sara Trevelyan of Knowle, died 1667. Bells: first and second dated
1868, third 1612, fith and sixth 1684. The road used to run past the porch which may account for the poor condition of
the chest tombs (qv) in churchyard. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset,
Listing NGR: ST0093142660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings