This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5973 / 51°35'50"N
Longitude: -0.0911 / 0°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 532315
OS Northings: 190446
OS Grid: TQ323904
Mapcode National: GBR GG.5Q2
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.C3QT
Entry Name: Church of St Benet Fink
Listing Date: 4 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358684
Location: Haringey, London, N17
Electoral Ward/Division: West Green
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Benet Fink Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3290 WALPOLE ROAD
800-/16/10013 Church of St Benet Fink
Church, 1911-12 by J S Alder. Red brick with stone arcade and dressings, slate roof Truncated
cruciform plan, the eastern two bays of the five-bay nave treated as vestigial transepts with cross
gables. Narthex, two-bay chancel and single-bay sanctuary. The nave with aisles, these continue
to the (liturgical) north as organ chamber, with vestry and boiler room behind, and to the south
as the two-bay chapel of St Luke. Late Decorated-style tracery, with chiefly three-light windows
to chapel and four-lights to nave; large five-light east window and broad three-light west window.
Corner entrances to narthex, that to Walpole Road under spire with pyramidal top.
Five-bay stone nave arcade in C14 style, with high barrell rooflined with oak boarding. Narthex
baptistery with font in central of three arched openings. Original pews, lectern and pulpit.
Quarry-light glazing with shield medallions containing symbols of the saints. Stations of the cross
added in 1972. Chancel, up two steps and with low stone walls, with choirstalls, separated from
St Luke's chapel by war-memorial screen. Altar with reredos, the figures added sympathetically
c.1950. The most important feature is the organ brought from the church of St Peter-le-Poer, City
of London and demolished in 1908. The organ is late C18 by Green, modified by Willis.
St Benet Fink was built with money from the demolition ofthe church of St Peter-le-Poer, which
had absorbed the medieval City parish of St Benet Fink when that church was demolished in 1844.
This is said to be Alder's most complete and least-altered church.
Listing NGR: TQ3231590446
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings