History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

P and Q Barracks, Horseshoe Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Shoeburyness, Southend-on-Sea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5283 / 51°31'42"N

Longitude: 0.7919 / 0°47'30"E

OS Eastings: 593755

OS Northings: 184742

OS Grid: TQ937847

Mapcode National: GBR RR4.30Q

Mapcode Global: VHKHN.NVZ7

Entry Name: P and Q Barracks, Horseshoe Barracks

Listing Date: 6 March 1984

Last Amended: 17 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346221

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473008

Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3

County: Southend-on-Sea

Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness

Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Southend-on-Sea

Listing Text

TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA CHAPEL ROAD
(north east side), Shoebury Garrison
5/10039
06/03/84 P and Q Barracks, Horseshoe Barracks

GV II

Barrack block at British School of Gunnery. 1859, by Cpt J Inglis, RE. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads, gable and axial stacks and slate roof. Single-depth plan with rear service wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 10-window range with single-storey; 1-window end NCO blocks. A symmetrical front with plat band and overhanging eaves, rubbed brick flat arches, to entrances 3 bays from the ends with 3-pane overlights and double doors with 6 raised panels, and to 6/6-pane sashes; end blocks have round-arched doorways in the gables with radial fanlights and double 6-panel doors. The rear has similar fenestration, with 2-storey service wings 2 bays deep with outer segmental-arched doorways and small rear gable stacks. INTERIOR: not inspected but reported to contain dogleg stairs from the entrances with metal balusters, and heated barrack rooms. HISTORY: one of a group of 8 barracks arranged round a circular parade ground. In its use of smaller separate buildings a unique example of reformed barrack planning. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: 1863-: CTR 357-358).

Listing NGR: TQ9375584742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.