History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heywood, Rochdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5933 / 53°35'35"N

Longitude: -2.2185 / 2°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 385637

OS Northings: 410769

OS Grid: SD856107

Mapcode National: GBR DVYW.HM

Mapcode Global: WHB8W.WYR5

Entry Name: Church of Saint Luke

Listing Date: 12 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358852

Location: Rochdale, OL10

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: North Heywood

Built-Up Area: Heywood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Heywood St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heywood

Listing Text

HEYWOOD

335/6/25 YORK STREET
12-FEB-85 CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE

GV II*

Church. 1860-62. Joseph Clarke. Coursed rock faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Tall nave with aisle, clerestory, south-west porch, north-west steeple outside the north aisle; chancel with clerestory, side chapels and vestry. 5-bay nave with coupled 2-light Geometrical clerestory windows in recessed panels, 3-light aisle windows, continuous sill band and weathering, gabled weathered buttresses. Porch with elaborate niche and coped gable. 4-stage tower has angled buttresses, 2-light bellstage openings, clock and broach spire with enriched banding and gabled lucarnes. 3-bay chancel with 7-light east window. 6-light west window.
INTERIOR: nave arcade has double-chamfered arches and quatrefoil columns with foliated capitals and small broaches, enriched hammer-beam roof. High enriched chancel arch on marble shafted columns with thin elegant iron screen added in 1888. Chancel has heavily enriched sedilia, Easter sepulchre, arcade to either side with detached shafts and barrel vault roof. A good collection of stained glass: east and west windows, Hardman; aisle windows, largely Clayton & Bell; windows at west ends of aisles, William Wailes; vestry, J B Capronnier. Good choir stalls and benches of time of building, and later C19 marble and alabaster reredos and marble pulpit.
This church stands at the heart of Heywood where, with its immensely tall spire, it dwarfs all the other buildings and forms the main focal point of the town.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Listing NGR: SD8563710769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.