This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.843 / 53°50'34"N
Longitude: -0.4326 / 0°25'57"W
OS Eastings: 503222
OS Northings: 439669
OS Grid: TA032396
Mapcode National: GBR TSF0.44
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.BN7Q
Plus Code: 9C5XRHV8+6W
Entry Name: The Market Cross
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167432
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
BEVERLEY SATURDAY MARKET
9/311 The Market Cross
Built 1714, designed by E Shelton of Wakefield, repairs 1769. Four pairs of
coupled Roman Doric columns in stone standing on octagonal base of three steps.
Full entablature with triglyphs, guttae etc. Entablature broken over columns.
South side, four finely carved cartouches displaying the Royal Arms
(Hanoverian), and the arms of Beverley, Hotham and Warton in colour. Above
the entablature is a further cartouche which forms part of a tablet carved in
relief with trophies of arms etc. The cartouche is surmounted by a head with
head-dress containing Prince of Wales feathers (one missing at time of survey),
and contains inscription thus: 'This cross was built at the expense of Sir
Charles Hotham Bart, and Sir Michael Warton Knt. Members of Parliament for
this Corporation Anno Domini 1714. Repaired AD 1769 Wm Leake Esq, Mayor'.
Eight enriched urns by E Rushworth added in 1769 stand over the columns.
Leaded octagonal cupola roof with elaborate square glazed lantern surmounted
by an obelisk and weather vane. NMR photos.
Listing NGR: TA0322239669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings