This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9772 / 53°58'37"N
Longitude: -0.9269 / 0°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 470480
OS Northings: 453990
OS Grid: SE704539
Mapcode National: GBR PQZG.41
Mapcode Global: WHFC5.Q9TC
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167642
Location: Catton, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO41
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Catton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stamford Bridge St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: York
CATTON LOW CATTON
SE 75 SW
1/23 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 origins; C13 north and south aisles, C15 south-west tower,
chancel 1866 by G E Street, C19 south porch. 3-stage south-west tower,
4-bay aisled nave with north transept and south porch, 3-bay chancel with
north vestry. South-west tower: plinth with diagonal buttresses with
offsets, slit window to second stage, 2-light pointed belfry openings with
Perpendicular tracery under hood-mould, crenellated parapet with corner
finials. Nave: plinth, buttresses with offsets. 2-light square headed
windows with Perpendicular tracery. Pointed chamfered south door under
hollow-moulded order on nook-shafts with nail-head. Boarded wooden door.
2-light pointed west window with cusped Y-tracery. Raised coped gables.
Chancel: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets, scroll-moulded stepped
string. Three 2-light pointed windows with plate tracery under hood-moulds.
Pointed chamfered priest's door under hood-mould: above that a small blank
pointed window with hood-mould. Pointed 3-light east window with
curvilinear tracery under hood-mould with foliage stops. Raised coped gable
with flory cross finial. North transept has small round-headed slit window
with continuous chamfer to west, pointed window with Y-tracery to the north,
and 3-light square-headed window with Perpendicular tracery to east. Low-
pitch coped gable. Interior: pointed east door with continuous broad
chamfer to tower chamber, pointed double-chamfered north tower arch on
moulded capitals and demi-octagonal responds. C13 north arcade of pointed
double-chamfered arches on cylindrical, quatrefoil and square piers (the
latter with attached filleted shafts) on moulded bases. The easternmost
arch is C12 (to former transept) and of 2 chamfered round orders. East
respond decorated with water-leaf. South arcade of 3 pointed double-
chamfered arches on octagonal capitals and piers and moulded bases.
Chancel: fine east window: 1866 by William Morris. Central panel of
Crucifixion with mourning saints and Virgin to right and left; scenes from
the nativity of Christ in separate panels below. C13 goblet-shaped font.
Memorial in south aisle to Thomas Robinson and his brother, died 1835: the
former murdered by a poacher, the latter killed by his own gun. Brass
memorial tablet with inscription to Thomas Tryll, died 1591, in north aisle.
Lying in a disused tomb recess in the chancel is a small stone, recently
excavated from the churchyard, bearing the strange carving of a man with a
long pointed beard -presumably intended to be Christ.
Listing NGR: SE7047853990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings