This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0934 / 54°5'36"N
Longitude: -0.2036 / 0°12'12"W
OS Eastings: 517586
OS Northings: 467885
OS Grid: TA175678
Mapcode National: GBR WP03.QC
Mapcode Global: WHHF6.VC7R
Entry Name: The Bayle Gate
Listing Date: 7 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166068
Location: Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO16
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bridlington
Built-Up Area: Bridlington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bridlington Priory Church (St Mary)
Church of England Diocese: York
The Bayle Gate
TA 1767 NE 2/2 7.9.51.
A large square castellated gatehouse of freestone, with arched entrance and postern.
This was the principal entrance to the Priory, and was built circa 1388 when Richard
II licensed the Prior to crenellate. The upper part was partially rebuilt with
brick in the mid C17.
The Bayle Gate forms a group with The Memorial Drinking Fountain Baylegate, Nos
11 to 16 (consec), Baylegate, Nos 4 to 8 (consec). Kirkgate; Nos 15 to 20 (consec)
Kirkgate; Church of St Mary, Kirkgate; Nos 15 to 18 (consec) Church Green and
Nos 20 to 23 (consec) Church Green.
Listing NGR: TA1758767884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings