History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Redbourne, North Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4872 / 53°29'13"N

Longitude: -0.5344 / 0°32'3"W

OS Eastings: 497340

OS Northings: 399944

OS Grid: SK973999

Mapcode National: GBR SXQ3.3N

Mapcode Global: WHGGT.RLPZ

Plus Code: 9C5XFFP8+V6

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 6 January 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166029

Location: Redbourne, North Lincolnshire, DN21

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Redbourne

Built-Up Area: Redbourne

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scawby and Redbourne

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Kirton in Lindsey

Listing Text

(south side)

22/68 Church of St Andrew


Parish church, declared redundant c1978. C14-C15 with late C18 rebuilding,
including new north and south chapels and partial rebuilding of 1770s by
William and Thomas Lumby of Lincoln, plaster ceilings of 1775-7, top 2
stages added to tower 1785; new west door, partial rebuilding of aisles,
chancel and clerestory also probably of 1770s-80s. South chapel rebuilt as
mausoleum for Dukes of St Albans in early C19. Restorations of 1888 by
W W Goodhand of Redbourne include removal of gallery, re-seating, new south
porch. Vestry door inserted and east side-windows removed c1985;
restorations underway at time of resurvey. Squared limestone and coursed
rubble with limestone ashlar dressings; rendered to east side of vestry.
Lead roofs, aisles, nave and chancel; Welsh slates to mausoleum, vestry and
porch. West tower with rectangular south-east staircase projection and west
entrance, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, single-bay chancel with organ
chamber/vestry adjoining north side and St Albans chapel/mausoleum adjoining
south side. Side-alternate quoins throughout, those to mausoleum raised,
remainder flush. 4-stage tower: moulded plinth, stages stepped-in. Tall
first stage: blocked west door with 4-centred moulded arch beneath foiled
spandrels and square-headed hood-mould; 4-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled
west window with hood-mould; square-headed 2-light cinquefoiled west window
with hood-mould; lighting slits to north and south. Stair turret to first
stage has 3 lighting-slits and inscribed square ashlar sundial with remains
of iron gnomon. Moulded string course. Second stage: pointed 2-light
trefoiled windows, moulded string course. Third stage: large clockface to
west, plain string course. Fourth stage: pointed 2-light trefoiled belfry
openings with hood-moulds. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapet.
Aisles: pointed 2-light trefoiled windows, one to south with tracery missing
at time of resurvey. Carved finial set in south aisle south wall.
Clerestory: square-headed 2-light trefoiled windows, sections of former
columns incorporated in north and south walls. 4-centred arch east chancel
window, boarded-up at time of resurvey. 2 pointed 2-light trefoiled north
windows to vestry; pointed chamfered south door to mausoleum with hood-
mould. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapets with crocketed
pinnacles throughout (some pinnacles missing at time of resurvey). Porch:
chamfered plinth, buttresses, pointed moulded arch beneath hood-mould;
pointed chamfered inner arch beneath blocked pointed window with hood-mould.
Interior. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers
with chamfered bases and moulded capitals, the south piers slightly taller;
moulded corbelled responds. Tall tower and chancel arches of 2 orders with
hollow chamfers dying into jambs; hood-mould to chancel arch. Tower: 4-
centred arch to staircase, deeply-splayed west doorway; pair of corbels to
north and south walls, probably for former gallery. Second stage of tower
contains timber base for former octagonal spire. South aisle: blocked
round-headed door to east, blocked former lancet to west, blocked circular
windows to east and west, blocked pointed south window; Cl0-Cll carved
interlace stone re-set in west wall. North aisle has pointed arch to organ
chamber. Aisle windows have stuccoed brick arches and ashlar jambs.
Chancel: broad crocketed ogee-arched niche to north with sub-cusping and
carved shield finial over fine incised black marble graveslab to Gerald
Sothill (d1410) with inscribed border and figure of knight flanked by
angels, re-set 1985. Deeply-chamfered ogee arch to organ chamber with plain
moulded capitals and hood-mould with foliate finial. Small square-headed
recess to south. Architrave and sill string course to east window. Fine 3-
bay quadripartite vaulted plaster ceiling to nave with foliate bosses and
plain moulded timber corbels. Fine elliptical barrel-vaulted plaster
ceiling to chancel with Gothick panelling and trefoiled corbelled cornice.
Plaster ceiling to north aisle. Flagstone floors with black insets. Good
series of marble wall tablets in chancel. South side: to William Carter
(d1752), with carved urn bearing relief of men planting a tree, and to Roger
Carter (d1774), with carved base and fine relief of ship and oriental
landscape with pagoda, both attributed to Richard Hayward, 1778-9; to
Charlotte and Rev Robert Carter Thelwall, of 1782, by Hayward, with obelisk
and relief of mourning figure with urn; to William, 8th Duke of St Albans
and Maria his wife, of c1825. North side: to William, 9th Duke of St
Albans, of 1851, by J C Lough, with figures of mourning mother and childen
in Gothic ashlar surround; to Harriot, Duchess of St Albans, of 1838, by
Chantry, with draped altar bearing arms and coronet in relief; to Charlotte,
Lady Beauclerk, of c1825. Gravestone in tower to Thomas Waterhouse of 1723
with rustic inscription and ornament. Exceptional painted east window of
c1840 by William Collins (a copy of "The Opening of the Sixth Seal" by
Francis Danby), boarded-up at time of resurvey. Series of 12 stained-glass
windows of Apostles, of c1840, by William Collins, and fine carved baluster-
shaped font of 1775, by Richard Hayward, in store at time of resurvey.
Mausoleum contains 2 tiers of C19 tombs of St Albans Family with inscribed
marble tablets. Work at church in 1770s recorded in Carter Estate accounts
includes stuccoing chancel, aisles and other work by a plasterer called
Kibblewhite in 1775-7. Drawings by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection,
Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, p 339-40; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SK9734499944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.